Advice on sealing pipe conduit through basement wall

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
historicalwork
Been here a good while

Re: Advice on sealing pipe conduit through basement wall

Post by historicalwork »

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you very much for all the feedback and ideas. I did a bit of desktop searching to find out what products are often used for sealing conduits or ducts. For example, i found a product from Polywater that is meant to seal communication lines through conditions. I sense some of these are closed foam type products that are intended to be in water conditions and meet applicable codes. I found a couple other products but none were readily available or they were expensive. So, i went ahead with backing it with foam and then used hydraulic cement. I did that on both ends - inside and outside in the enclosure. I did use a small rock to brace the galvanized pipe to stay centered in the conduit so the foam and cement. I was going to back with foam and then finalize with a small depth of a polyurethane caulk. But i just felt it wasn't practical given the way the pipe barely came through the wall on the inside. Time will tell if this does the trick. Again, thanks for the input and ideas! I appreciate it.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Never fight the ‘KISS principle’ glad you got it worked out.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

If that's the only place the water was coming from, that should take care of it.

Although don't be surprised if you detect some seepage from a nearby location now that that's closed off. Remember - water always takes the path of the least resistance. After I re-pointed the mortar in the worst area of my basement, I had a couple of other adjacent smaller areas to re-point due to the water finding new ways in that it didn't make it to before.

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

That's a good point - i'm going to make a habit of going in there more often - and definitely after any heavy rain!