A question for GibsonGM or any one else

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Re: A question for GibsonGM or any one else

Post by GibsonGM »

Gothichome wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:20 pm Gibson and all. The Emerald paint worked out great. I primed with SW’s general purpose primer and colour coated with two coats of Emerald. It laid down well and flattened out great. I found several peculiarities with the paint, despite what the promotional material says it will not cover in one coat, at least not the white primer. Also, I found once applied it will skim over on the surface but under the skim the paint still flows this tended to cause runs at the corners of vertical surfaces long after you had applied the paint. I found my self going back and knocking down the occasional runs a few minutes after painting. Not a big deal but it was a bit of a learning curve.
The paint was dry to the touch in about four hours and according to the literature it could have been second coated. I waited a full twenty four hours with no issues on the second coat. As with all modern paints it took four days for the paint to stop sticking to itself. Found this out while trying to open the door four days later.
I think I would highly recommend this paint for most purposes other than door and trim applications. But it’s not cheap, a bit over $100 (Can.) for a four litre can. My door project used up a bit over half the can.
Only time will tell how well it will hold up to the weather.
Glad to hear it worked well! I forgot to ask you what your color is, and what would be under it :oops: When I claimed "does it in 1 coat!" - that would be for going over previously-painted trim in the same color! By "trim" I mean rakes, corner boards, railings...there is a product called "Snap Dry" that works well on doors or things that will be used in 4 hours (!)....but coloring is limited, and I feel 'meh' about it. When I do a door in ANY latex, I let it prop open for quite a long time before closing. This time of year, I try NOT to do any! In summer, a few hours is usually sufficient to avoid the tearing from weatherstripping...

Like I said, it's not my daily go-to - I use Resilience for most stuff. But a door, in sun...yeah, something better was warranted!