How to fix the lower sash bottom rail

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
maxhall1023
Knows the back streets

How to fix the lower sash bottom rail

Post by maxhall1023 »

So I may have gotten a bit carried away with one of the bottom rails on a window where the stub tenon was already broken. I completely took the bottom rail apart. Dug out all of the soft stuff and routered out a pocket. Couple of questions. !st I could enlarge the hole to make it more square and try to fill it with a piece of wood. The difficult part would be nailing that fit and the tenon that fits into the stile. One option I was thinking was filling the entire portion with abatron. Fitting a tenon to fit the mortise in the stile, drilling 2 3/8" holes and putting in dowels to lock the joint together. On the next bottom rail not near as bad but pieces of both stub tenons are broken off. Could I just fit Abatron in the area and shape to make an appropriate size tenon?

What would be the best way to approach windows moving forward with much rot?
Attachments
20200807_162106.jpg
20200807_162106.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 782 times
20200807_162113.jpg
20200807_162113.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 782 times

Gothichome

Re: How to fix the lower sash bottom rail

Post by Gothichome »

Max, if I am interpreting you post against the pictures, this is the same piece of wood were the tendon and rot has been removed? If so I would make a wood filler plug with a new tendon as one piece, shape the plug end to match your hole and use construction adhesive to glue the plug in place. For a belt and suspenders approach you could then drill for a dowle or two.
If they are these are the matting parts (mortise and tendon)I think I might remove the old tendon, slot and manufacture a new tendon once again glueing in place with construction adhesive. For the mortise, I would square it up a bit with a chisel and make two filler pieces, one for each side of your mortise leaving a space equivalent to the thickness of the tendon. Assemble as usual.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: How to fix the lower sash bottom rail

Post by phil »

If you have a tablesaw you might look upon that as , it's a stick that is rotten, I think I'll just spend a few minutes cut a new one.
then look around for an old door or a stud or something with suitable grain. you have the prototype ;-)

another way might be to say the tenon is rotten , so not only will I remove it completely but also cut a slot , then use a biscuit between. the biscuit will look like the piece you cut off but be double the size. I'm not sure if that's what was being said above.
epoxy will work so will adding dowels. You have choices ;-)