Turpentine alternative

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
maxhall1023
Knows the back streets

Turpentine alternative

Post by maxhall1023 »

Hey guys so redoing some windows this year and I would like to condition the window jambs which are currently bare with BLOP. I ordered the good BLO and turpentine from American Rope and Tar bc it's supposed to be better and smell less. We just started the process of applying BLOP to the sashes outside on our porch. My wife says either turpentine (the cheap or expensive) smells putrid and no way are we applying that to our jambs (she has the nose of a bloodhound...probably the cause of half of our marital disputes :lolno: ). Anyone know of an alternative? If there isn't one should I at least prime the jambs? I was intending to sand, apply BLOP and leave bare.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Turpentine alternative

Post by Manalto »

I wish your wife the best of luck restoring the window jambs in the way she thinks is best.

maxhall1023
Knows the back streets

Post by maxhall1023 »

haha...yeah she's helping with the work but her sense of smell (possibly due to anxiety and past surgeries) puts the breaks on alot of pleasurable things... I wish I had a separate building for cooking and woodworking...it would open up alot of possibilities.

maxhall1023
Knows the back streets

Post by maxhall1023 »

How about BLO and mineral spirits?

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

IMO, mineral spirits stinks too, even the 'low odor' kind. And they're not the same stuff. Might not dry right with mineral spirits.

If you want an old home, you have to put up with some things. Maybe she can go somewhere for a few days, or you can take her camping after you've applied your BLOP? Or just use her method, as Manalto suggested ;)

I get this at work once in a while...'I hate the smell'...well, they hired a painter, WTH did they think was going to happen, LOL? As if I go out of my way to apply those SO STINKY latex-based coatings...which barely have an odor compared to years past.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

It's temporary.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I would try mineral spirits "blop" on a test sample of wood. My bet is it will work to thin the BLO like turpentine but wont have the same anti-biological qualities. It can successfully be used to thin linseed oil based paint
Mick...

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Buy her a fan.
1939 Minimal Traditional

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

My girlfriend hates all the smells too. even if I paint stuff outside she starts ranting on about it. Trying to get across the difference between being able to detect a substance and being overcome by it to a point of it being a health issue is evidently not my forte.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

GinaC wrote:Buy her a fan.

Our carriage house is a shared studio/shop space. My wife has her studio for art and I have a shop for welding, woodworking or whatever kind of mischief I feel like getting into. Sometimes I use some pretty stinky stuff in there. I have learned to have the exhaust fan on most all the time, especially when my bride is busy in her space. It makes for a happy relationship.