Finding/making a key for an old lockset?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Finding/making a key for an old lockset?

Post by GinaC »

The back door to my house still has its original lockset, and I've added a keyed deadbolt that works. The only problem is that if I don't have the key on me I'm locked out -- but I'm not worried about that because my garage has an electronic coded entry.

Anyway, the old mechanism still works, but the key is long lost to time. Is there any way I can repurpose an old skeleton key or have a new key made so that I can use this lock in addition to the deadbolt?

1939 Minimal Traditional

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Finding/making a key for an old lockset?

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Interior bit key locks are easier to get lucky and "find" a key that works with. Exterior ones are a little tougher.

I'd recommend removing the lock and taking it to a locksmith shop. They will be able to make a key for it. Have them make a few duplicates while they are at it. Shouldn't be very expensive.
Last edited by 1918ColonialRevival on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Oh wow, I didn't even know this was a service that locksmiths provide! Thank you!
1939 Minimal Traditional

1918ColonialRevival

GinaC wrote:Oh wow, I didn't even know this was a service that locksmiths provide! Thank you!

Check with several, but most of them can do this. I wouldn't bother with ones that specialize in automotive applications as they may be less equipped for it.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gina, you can buy blank keys for your locks on line just google ‘blank mortice keys’
If you had to you could make your own, but suspect if you showed up at an old time lock smith with your mortise and a blank key you might get a better response from the lock smith.

1918ColonialRevival

Gothichome wrote:Gina, you can buy blank keys for your locks on line just google ‘blank mortice keys’
If you had to you could make your own, but suspect if you showed up at an old time lock smith with your mortise and a blank key you might get a better response from the lock smith.

If she gets her own blank, she needs to be sure it is sized correctly. Most of the blanks readily found online are smaller ones for interior or cabinet locks. The bit and pin on the end may be too thin for an exterior lock. Or, alternately, she could get one that is too thick for her application.

Since she lives in the Northeast, she should be able to find a locksmith who either has a stock of bit key blanks or is familiar with where to get them. If she was somewhere like Arizona, I'd say she might have more trouble. I had to have a bit key made for a lock several years ago. The locksmith I used had a stash of new-old-stock blanks of all sizes.

Gina - try to find a lock shop that has been around for a while. They should definitely have what you need. It's reassuring if their sign says something like "Since 1930" or something that wasn't anytime recent. Although their popularity waned in the 1910s and 20s in favor of cylinder locks, exterior bit key locks like yours were still being made and sold through mainstream outlets well into the '40s and a lot of them are still out there in service.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Good points Colonial. To order up a new blank key Gina you will have to take a few measurements of the key hole on the mortise lock itself.