self leveling cement/epoxy?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: self leveling cement/epoxy?

Post by phil »

the porch is one place things are supposed to be unlevel ;-) mine was too plumb so water couldnt' drain right. I cut an inch or two off the posts.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

phil wrote:the porch is one place things are supposed to be unlevel ;-) mine was too plumb so water couldnt' drain right. I cut an inch or two off the posts.
When we deal with the mini side "porch", I'll be doing something similar. The deck and stairs of it was redone at one point, and I'm positive the lack of pitch is what helped hurry along the sill rot there.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil

Post by phil »

my posts had metal brackets so I just used a car jack to lift them a little to clear the saw blade, then set them back down, it was easy.
with mine I installed a drip flashing , new plywood and fiberglassed it. that seems to be keeping the water out of the structure. I changed what was rotten when I had the plywood off. I wouldn't attempt to fiberglass or apply vinyl until you change the plywood, If it is plywood. I tried using that grey paint on deck coating , it didnt last long at all , evidently there is good stuff you can get but not at home depot.
the vinyl comes I think 60", maybe 6' ? so if it is narrower than that maybe you dont need to do any seam welding. or maybe you'd want something more authentic like planks. if you put a 4' level on it you should see around 1/4" inch or so difference. if the plywood is dish shaped you need more, You just dont want the water pooling.

although the fiberglass is a bit stinky to work with and not authentic, I like it. One option is to put wood on top of that, You can get pre-made squares you just lay out, clip together, that would hide the fiberglass.
I have a neighbor changing his sheeting and putting vinyl. its probably the most common near me. stained wood is nice but then there is more maintenance if it isn't covered.
with mine they sistered some wood parts together near the posts, then water got between and couldn't dry , that caused failure. it didn't matter that they were robust pieces. What really matters is that the water can leave after the rain, somehow. often it's just a matter of leaving big enough gaps everywhere you can that water can't creep between stuff. 1/ 16" or so the water can bridge but if it's like 1/4" that breaks the capillary action. capillary action defies gravity. dip a paper towel in coffee you can see it creep up , weird how that works.

I noticed at the building store they have pressure treated decking I think it's 1 inch and with rounded corners. that seemed like nice stuff.

phil

Post by phil »

I had a neighbor that thought he's just level his kitchen floor with that stuff. His kitchen wasn't very level. I think it was about 2" thick at one end ;-) he must have used buckets of the stuff. What a mess.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

I am almost 100% positive that's what the PO did in the kitchen of my house. At least, this is what I am expecting when I eventually pull up the sorry impossible-to-get-clean vinyl flooring. I knew when I bought the house that hoping for the original wood floors in the kitchen was a dream that would never come true.

Honestly, it works well enough. The floors will always be sloped, but at least the counters can be leveled now.
1939 Minimal Traditional

phil

Post by phil »

GinaC wrote: I knew when I bought the house that hoping for the original wood floors in the kitchen was a dream that would never come true.

floors can be replaced, you can always look into reclaimed flooring. mine was a patchwork mess but I managed to weave in reclaimed material from the era. the kitchen was the worst area. You really cant' tell what was changed now. Cost of materials wasn't bad, It was a lot more work than installing new flooring but I restored all the floors except the bathroom , which is a future plan.

a friend just offered up a big pile of fir flooring , its used and sanded. I'm hoping to get that and make it into wainscot. It'll be a lot of trimming, planing and cutting a new profile but it's a labor of love and not really expensive, just time consuming , dusty and a bit loud. I figure it will cost a few planer blades since Im sure to run into a few embedded nails, staples etc. I'll pull any I find of course. sometimes the used stuff Is a bit cracked so I have to glue up any cracks first, and there is always some waste so you need more than you intend for.
Its not always available when you are ready but if you look, you'll find some.