Window putty

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Window putty

Post by JacquieJet »

Ok so I was just reading over an old post from 2016/2017 about Sarco... I know it’s the best out there, but nothing much has changed since 2016- still can’t find someone who sells it in Canada!

Any fellow Canadians have suggestions?
I’m not going to use DAP!

I have a bunch of exterior storms to reglaze, as well as my 10 interior wood sash windows in the dining room. If someone would point me in the right direction, I’d be grateful!

Also... metal pointing? Whiting? What is this stuff and do I need it?
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Gothichome

Re: Window putty

Post by Gothichome »

JJet, unfortunately I have not found any thing but DAP so that is what I use, I think your only option is to get the good stuff online from the States. Whiting is a ground Chaulk, it is used to clean the glass after you have glazed it. I have never used it, it picks up the oils from the glazing compound, also I believe it absorbs the surface oils from the compound as an aid to drying. If you have any white sidewalk chalk you can grind it up into a powder, I understand it works just as well.
Metal points, if you are referring to glazing points, yes you need them.one again the good flat ones are hard to find. I use the bent ones only because I can get them from the local hardware stores.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Gothichome wrote:JJet, unfortunately I have not found any thing but DAP so that is what I use, I think your only option is to get the good stuff online from the States. Whiting is a ground Chaulk, it is used to clean the glass after you have glazed it. I have never used it, it picks up the oils from the glazing compound, also I believe it absorbs the surface oils from the compound as an aid to drying. If you have any white sidewalk chalk you can grind it up into a powder, I understand it works just as well.
Metal points, if you are referring to glazing points, yes you need them.one again the good flat ones are hard to find. I use the bent ones only because I can get them from the local hardware stores.

Thank you, Gothic!
I wonder why the stuff isn’t available in Canada... hmm. What a pain!
I appreciate your explanation about the whiting. That clears it up a lot. Much appreciated!
If I was to travel to the US at a later date to pick some up, does anyone know what kind of Sarco I would need? Dual or Type M? I can’t find the information about which one is for windows. It seems like both?
I’m just weighing all my options.
1917-ish

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

JacquieJet wrote:
Gothichome wrote:JJet, unfortunately I have not found any thing but DAP so that is what I use, I think your only option is to get the good stuff online from the States. Whiting is a ground Chaulk, it is used to clean the glass after you have glazed it. I have never used it, it picks up the oils from the glazing compound, also I believe it absorbs the surface oils from the compound as an aid to drying. If you have any white sidewalk chalk you can grind it up into a powder, I understand it works just as well.

Thank you, Gothic!
I wonder why the stuff isn’t available in Canada... hmm. What a pain!
I appreciate your explanation about the whiting. That clears it up a lot. Much appreciated!
If I was to travel to the US at a later date to pick some up, does anyone know what kind of Sarco I would need? Dual or Type M? I can’t find the information about which one is for windows. It seems like both?
I’m just weighing all my options.

On wood windows you can use either, on metal you use Dual. Type M has Naptha in it to speed the dry / skin over time in the shop. This is the one most of us use
Mick...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I have not used this product but Allback makes a linseed oil putty that you can get in Canada. Linseed oil putty is what I always used in the UK. It's bond to be different to Sarco, but I would bet it works better than DAP. You need to mix it well before use, and sometimes with linseed you need to mix in extra whitening to get the consistency just right
Mick...

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Thanks guys. That’s really helpful. Much appreciated, as always!
1917-ish

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Mick_VT wrote:
On wood windows you can use either, on metal you use Dual.

Why?

I just put about 3 lb of type M on my metal windows. Do I have reason to be concerned?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Manalto wrote:
Mick_VT wrote:
On wood windows you can use either, on metal you use Dual.

Why?

I just put about 3 lb of type M on my metal windows. Do I have reason to be concerned?

I do not know why Type M is not listed as suitable for metal. Try reaching out to Sarco directly perhaps? https://www.sarcoputty.com/contact
Mick...

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Thanks, Mick. I sent them a message.

Update: I spoke with Jim at the Sarco factory and he said I shouldn't have anything to worry about using type M on steel casements. He said people have been using it for decades. He isn't sure why only the dual glaze is labeled for metal windows.

Another topic we talked about was painting time. I told him I had glazed a window and then needed to leave, so it didn't get painted until I returned 4 months later. He said he likes to see the putty painted within 30 days.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Manalto wrote:Thanks, Mick. I sent them a message.

Update: I spoke with Jim at the Sarco factory and he said I shouldn't have anything to worry about using type M on steel casements. He said people have been using it for decades. He isn't sure why only the dual glaze is labeled for metal windows.

Another topic we talked about was painting time. I told him I had glazed a window and then needed to leave, so it didn't get painted until I returned 4 months later. He said he likes to see the putty painted within 30 days.

Funny enough, I was on the phone with Jim this morning, too! Nice guy!
He also said that the type M is paintable within 5 days, as long as it has skimmed.
And yes, as Gothic said before, Jim also recommended the type M to me for my wood sash windows.
1917-ish