Removing weird faux tile panels?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Eleven79
Just Arrived

Removing weird faux tile panels?

Post by Eleven79 »

Hi, I need some expert advice! I live in a bungalow-style house built in either 47 or 57...I've seen both dates on the paperwork. The bathroom and kitchen walls are covered with a tile-look paneling that seems to be made of cardboard. I think it's original because it was under some tile that I removed. Problem is, it's water-damaged in one bathroom, and I want to take it off, but I can't seem to find an edge anywhere. It's under the millwork and built in cabinets, and when I tried to worry a screwdriver under the damaged bit, it's like it's super-glued to the wall! I have reason to believe there's shiplap under there that I'd like to set free, so does anyone have any ideas? I thought of maybe steaming it with a steam cleaner?

https://ibb.co/cXK6QBv
https://ibb.co/2gRDjMp

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Removing weird faux tile panels?

Post by Manalto »

You could start with a heat gun and see if it softens the adhesive.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

First off eleven79 welcome to the District, tell us more of your mid century home. It was not uncommon for panels to be secured to walls with contact cement. It might soften with heat and allow you to get a corner started. There is a solvent for contact cement but you need to get it to the cement.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

maybe you can remove a chunk with a screwdriver and hammer , then experiment, see how it reacts to eat, olvents paint stripper etc. see what works. I think Id be tempted to set a circular saw with te blade just protruding about 3/32nds of an inch and cut some strips, then try to peel them out.
when I bought my house the ceiling in the attic had a lot of old paneling that was basically a thin particleboard material. it was all droopy and not really something I would preserve. you might run across the term beaverboard. some of the walls had a more modern wood grain panel probably 50's or so. one of the first things I did was to tear it out but of course you dont want to bite off more than you can chew. my bath needs an update too but I have been holding off because I know it is a bit of an ugly job. when I tackle it Ill want to have a plan and materials in my hands so Im not stuck waiting for stuff. I have an old tub to go in there. Id like to find a toilet and sink that I like that fit the era. I imagine it could have been tile or maybe fir wainscot. Its covered in 70's tile. my vanity is old and has a really low counter height I think I'll make cabinets before I start ripping into things. I'm dreading removing the tub, its got a 50's tub now and it isnt' so bad but It would be nice to get a more authentic to the era free standing cast iron tub and then the walls will inevitably have a place that is hard to clean since space will be so limited between the tub and 3 walls surrounding it. It has a little wall between the tub and toilet I dont know if I should remove that or keep it there. as it is the taps and water configuration are the typical type that are built into the wall. Maybe the separation wall was built in the 50's when the original tub was updated. you might consider another layer and a quick cover up if the time isn't right for such a reno. If you have a second bath then its not such an issue. I don't have a second bath or shower so I thought of just hooking up the tub in a bedroom with flexible plumbing as a temporary workaround. I have a spare triangular shaped tank toilet that is crammed into the corner of a closet. a stupid Reno from a previous owner but at least it's functional and may do for a short time. going without either for any more than a few hours would cause a miserable experience, that's when the plumbing project inevitably turns into a nightmare for some reason or another.