No original windows - what to do?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Re: No original windows - what to do?

Post by Wackyshack »

Gina C. I live in Massachusetts. I am very skiddish about needing to ask a handyman come to the house and am planning on holding off till summer for this - am sure that the lead time for the window will be many weeks out so the timetables will work better for all concerned. One advantage is that with summer coming, and if the window falls apart and I have to board it over, I won't lose heat if the dang thing falls apart.

I do have outside work like painting the impossible peak of the house that might be considered, but I am trying to wait until things are considered less risky to all before inviting someone over the house to fix things. My railing is also disintegrating and that is something a handy man could measure, build at home and come back to our house and install it. ( It is going to be one of those needy house years.)

I was going to try and attempt some simple tasks, but I am an essential employee and working many hours, so every day I have off that is not raining or snowing (like today) I have been trying to prep the garden for planting. My friend and I also had gotten a job sewing masks last week, which I am glad is finally complete. I am exhausted physically.

Gothichome: Thank you again for taking the time to check out the site and give your input.
I was getting to the point where I had no idea what I was looking at anymore. This will help me to sit down and start planning. They have a instructional section that shows how to take accurate measurements.
I know that there are vinyl replacements in the window, but was intrigued when my handyman mentioned that many of the people who pop in replacements do so inside of the old existing wood frame from the old windows. There is a part of me who would like to take out the window and check and see if they are there and if they are in the condition to take just sashes which would save money.
But I am guessing I would need weights and not use a modern system like the modern replacements.
(why is nothing ever simple?)

I was entertaining the idea of getting stained glass inserts, but now with the cost of replacing the windows, and seeing much higher style houses than mine with the 2 over 2 style windows (which is what mine had as I have a photo from the long time owner from 1966), I am thinking of just keeping it pure, and if I ever put in a larger window in the great room, I can put some stained glass in there. I have stained glass doors, it's not like I don't have anything fancy to make the house feel special.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: No original windows - what to do?

Post by GinaC »

Gothichome wrote:Wackyshack, I posted my thoughts on the Facebook site. Gina, I usually don’t like to comment on other people’s politics but lifting covid controls at this point is asking for disaster.

Oh, I agree with you! A few of the New England states, including Vermont, have joined together to make sure that their decisions are based on scientists and not politics.

That having been said, VT seems to be doing very well and these are extremely small changes that are currently being made. We are still required to wear masks and keep a 6' distance, but now we are allowed to have landscapers and contractors as long as they follow the same rules and only have a crew of 1 or 2 people working at a location.
1939 Minimal Traditional