Replace interlocking weatherstripping

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
elismith
Just Arrived

Replace interlocking weatherstripping

Post by elismith »

New homeowner here. Looking to take on restoring a whole bunch of double-hung sash windows. The current windows have zinc interlocking weatherstripping. Upon an initial inspection, some appears to be in better shape than others. A lot of the kerfing appears to be deteriorated. I am looking into replacing this weatherstripping with spring bronze so I can avoid dealing with repairs to the kerfing.

Is this swap-out of weatherstripping types a reasonable thing to do? Would I have to do anything to fill in the existing kerfing on the windows if I replace with spring bronze?

Thanks for the advice,
-Eli

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Replace interlocking weatherstripping

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Kilian Hardware stocks both the interlocking and spring bronze. I'd personally replace the interlocking with a similar profile interlocking bronze weatherstripping and use spring bronze on casements and around doors.

Gothichome

Re: Replace interlocking weatherstripping

Post by Gothichome »

Eli, welcome to the District. Kilian hardware as Colonial mentioned is the place to go for your spring bronze. The replacement shouldn’t be a hard job.
Tell us more of your old home, and pictures, we do love old pictures here.