Best brand/source for reproduction push button switches and plates?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Best brand/source for reproduction push button switches and plates?

Post by JacquieJet »

So I’m thinking of swapping my modern switches with more age-appropriate push button switches and cover plates. I spoke to a PO who lived here before the wiring was converted, and she told me what the switch plates looked like, so I’d want to replicate that somewhat.

Has anyone here installed push button switches? Where is a good place to get quality switches? I know of places like Classic Accents, Nostalgic Hardware, House of Antique Hardware, Kyle Hardware, etc.
I’m leaning towards HoAH, but was wondering if anyone had recommendations or experiences first?
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Best brand/source for reproduction push button switches and plates?

Post by Manalto »

JacquieJet wrote:I’m leaning towards HoAH, but was wondering if anyone had recommendations or experiences first?

I ordered from them and haven't had any issues. I was trying to find the switchplates I got but was unable to locate them. I got unfinished brass and buffed them with 0000 steel wool. They have darkened a little but I like the look; it's mellower than the polished or polished and lacquered brass.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Manalto wrote:
I ordered from them and haven't had any issues. I was trying to find the switchplates I got but was unable to locate them. I got unfinished brass and buffed them with 0000 steel wool. They have darkened a little but I like the look; it's mellower than the polished or polished and lacquered brass.

Thanks! I have been trying to decide on finish as well. Originally it was brass, but I’m torn between the unfinished or the satin. Since I have a bunch of kids, it will be fingerprint galore.
1917-ish

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I've used both original and the reproduction switches and I can say this. The originals are much better quality if you can find them. The Classic Accents switches are ok for a stopgap measure, but I'm finding out they have about a 5-10 year life expectancy with regular use.

I happened to get lucky and get a small stash of new-old-stock 1920s manufacture switches so I've been using those as I need a switch. If you can find an electrical supplier nearby that has been in business for a long time, they may have some sitting around. It doesn't hurt to ask.

As for pushbutton switch plates, originals are on ebay all the time. If you are patient, you can sometimes find a box lot of them at a decent price. If you get replicas, as James mentioned, the raw brass ages naturally to a beautiful patina. I personally have never cared for the shiny brass look and it's not authentic to the period. Outside of a nautical setting, shiny brass wasn't really a thing until post-WWII.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:I've used both original and the reproduction switches and I can say this. The originals are much better quality if you can find them. The Classic Accents switches are ok for a stopgap measure, but I'm finding out they have about a 5-10 year life expectancy with regular use.

I happened to get lucky and get a small stash of new-old-stock 1920s manufacture switches so I've been using those as I need a switch. If you can find an electrical supplier nearby that has been in business for a long time, they may have some sitting around. It doesn't hurt to ask.

As for pushbutton switch plates, originals are on ebay all the time. If you are patient, you can sometimes find a box lot of them at a decent price. If you get replicas, as James mentioned, the raw brass ages naturally to a beautiful patina. I personally have never cared for the shiny brass look and it's not authentic to the period. Outside of a nautical setting, shiny brass wasn't really a thing until post-WWII.

Great! That’s really helpful! Thanks!
Do you think I’d be able to hook up a NOS push button switch to my modern wiring?
1917-ish

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

JacquieJet wrote:Great! That’s really helpful! Thanks!
Do you think I’d be able to hook up a NOS push button switch to my modern wiring?

Yes. All a switch does is make a break in the "hot" wire going to the fixture, turning it off. The basic functional design has never changed.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
JacquieJet wrote:Great! That’s really helpful! Thanks!

Yes. All a switch does is make a break in the "hot" wire going to the fixture, turning it off. The basic functional design has never changed.

Isn't that interesting. I had no idea. Thanks, Colonial!
1917-ish

mjt

Post by mjt »

The only issue with NOS will be the missing terminal on the switch body for the ground wire. Not the end of the world, though.

I've purchased push button switches from House of Antique Hardware and am happy with them. I have about a dozen or so including some 3-ways and a couple of dimmers.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

mjt wrote:The only issue with NOS will be the missing terminal on the switch body for the ground wire. Not the end of the world, though.

I've purchased push button switches from House of Antique Hardware and am happy with them. I have about a dozen or so including some 3-ways and a couple of dimmers.

How long have you had the switches installed for? Any failures so far?
HoAH has such nice stuff!
1917-ish

mjt

Post by mjt »

JacquieJet wrote:
mjt wrote:The only issue with NOS will be the missing terminal on the switch body for the ground wire. Not the end of the world, though.

How long have you had the switches installed for? Any failures so far?
HoAH has such nice stuff!

I installed them about 9 years ago. So far no failures. We installed them only in the "public" areas of the house - entry, foyer up and down, living room, dining room, music room and study. We didn't put them in the "private" or servant areas of the house - back hall up and down, bedrooms, bathrooms, etc.

There's a terse post on my blog about them. The photo is of the switches in our dining room. The one on the left is a normal switch that controls the sconces. The one on the right is a dimmer that controls the chandelier. Excuse the paint; the photo is from before we painted that room. Also, the post mentions that I bought something at Kilian. For the life of me I cannot remember what it was if it was for this project (I've bought stuff at both Kilian and HoAH over the years).