The malleability of steel

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: The malleability of steel

Post by phil »

it strikes me as a bit odd. even old machinery was made to be beatiful, like factory equipment made of cast iron always had an artistic element. Now we have the means to make things really beautiful but take kitchen cabinetry for example. the modrn stuff is almost all really boring flat crap with little or no embellishments even though factories have the ability to use CNC technology , for example to make intricate carvings with robotics and no human intervention at a fraction of the cost of hand labor. modern cars all look like jelly beans too.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Spotted on Old House Dreams today, the very radiator I was describing, with the built in plate warmer cabinet:

41-1423washington.jpg
41-1423washington.jpg (25.35 KiB) Viewed 413 times

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote:it strikes me as a bit odd. even old machinery was made to be beatiful, like factory equipment made of cast iron always had an artistic element. Now we have the means to make things really beautiful but take kitchen cabinetry for example. the modern stuff is almost all really boring flat crap...

Agree! Everything has become generic. It has to be boring enough to offend nobody. I think people are afraid they won't be able to sell whatever it is because it isn't griege.

phil wrote: modern cars all look like jelly beans too.

Here I have to disagree. Jelly beans have colors.
Last edited by Manalto on Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:Spotted on Old House Dreams today, the very radiator I was describing, with the built in plate warmer cabinet:

41-1423washington.jpg

What a great idea! (I'm going to use the compressor on my Moitor Top fridge. ;-)

phil

Post by phil »

here are some modern designs. The one wiht the kitty cubbyhole is kinda cute.
so far as artistic, maybe modern designers just think differently.. ;-)

https://weburbanist.com/2009/02/10/10-cookin-radiators/

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote:...maybe modern designers just think differently...

That sums it up well, although to say that these creations are contrived strikes me as being far too kind. (I guess I'm just a boring, conventional guy, circa yesteryear. :character-oldtimer: )

I was about to muster some admiration for the floating sofa in the last photo until I looked a little closer and saw the toe-demolishing corner leg.

phil

Post by phil »

if you had 4.5 million you could just get a chandelier like the one we have..
it was a nice thing to do for the homeless people that live under the bridge, gives their home a little artistic ambiance.. Im sure they appreciated that, not that they couldn't use a warm place to sleep or a washroom instead, or some food..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5379911