Infrared Paint Strippers

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Mick_VT

Re: Infrared Paint Strippers

Post by Mick_VT »

Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

corsetwoman...
I offered my feedback on the infrared products....
I would say your 'licensed professional' learned what s/he knows from the organization offering the classes...the rules are over the top and full of fear mongering...I have been using a heat gun for 25 years, have not always been careful (in the old days, we often didn't wear respirators) and, at age 64, walked a marathon yesterday and have nary and ache or pain today...in other words, I remain healthy...

the infrared can burn down a building if it is left on a sash component too long, starting a fire...same thing with a heatgun...just like your car--you can get from point A to point B safely if you use your common sense, drive safely and follow the speed limit...you can also use that car to injure yourself, other people and property if you are reckless...same thing when working with lead....common sense makes more sense to me than those over the top, scare tactic classes that are offered...

can you tell that the EPA RRP guidelines drive me a bit nutty?

good luck......jade

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

heartwood wrote:....common sense makes more sense to me than those over the top, scare tactic classes that are offered...

Jade, I couldn't have said it better myself! :D

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Jade, you always set my mind at ease. Thank you.
1939 Minimal Traditional

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

let me add that anyone who works on their own sash in my shop must wear a respirator and an apron when working with lead...I advise that they bring a change of clothes and wash up before eating or heading home for the day...that's just common sense!
.....jade

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

To remove any confusion. Your gov't at work, from the EPA's learned mouth. It's good enough for OSHA, too - and these bureaucracies us an EXCESS of caution:

"Work Practice Requirements„

Renovators must use work-area containment to prevent dust and debris from leaving the work area. „

Certain work practices are prohibited. Open-flame burning, using heat guns at greater than 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit and the use of power tools without high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) exhaust control (to collect dust generated) are prohibited.„

Thorough cleaning followed by a cleaning verification procedure to minimize exposure to lead-based paint hazards is required. „

Minor repair and maintenance activities (6 square feet or less per interior room or 20 square feet or less per exterior project) are exempt from the work practices requirements. However, this exemption does not apply to jobs involving window replacement or demolition, or that involve the use of any of the prohibited practices listed above."

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/steps.pdf

48, have been doing this for 20 yrs, work with LBP more often than not, not poisoned yet...and yup, if you got the ACTUAL RRP regulation text, it would drive you nutty!!! :)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

"use of power tools without high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) exhaust control (to collect dust generated) are prohibited.„"

... trying to figure out how I connect my sawzall to my dust vac. At some point reality must suck for people who write this stuff, then try to adhere to it.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Mick_VT wrote:the cobra is all the rage - gets amazing reviews. I have the speedheater and it is useful for somethings, but the cobra looks more like it would be heat gun-easque in use

I'm pretty excited about trying it out. I am not sure if she has the original model or the cobra. I was planning on getting it this week but she had eye surgery so I will need to wait a bit for her to recover a little. But it should be interesting. I will report back my findings. I'm hoping it will speed up my work!

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

phil wrote:"use of power tools without high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) exhaust control (to collect dust generated) are prohibited.„"

... trying to figure out how I connect my sawzall to my dust vac. At some point reality must suck for people who write this stuff, then try to adhere to it.

Oh jeez, Phil, don't do that! Ha ha. Has to be an EPA APPROVED vac for LEAD PAINT, specifically. No standard shop vac will do...it will pulverize the paint and send the dust ALL over, LOL!! I've known people who did it..that's a $32,000 (potentially) fine. They make shrouds that go over the biz end of grinders and so on for this purpose. Some turn on automatically w/the tool, pretty snazzy.

To the 'sawzall' point...you can spray shaving cream on your cut, that will count to trap the lead dust you'd release :mrgreen: Wet methods are perfectly acceptable. If one doesn't get electrocuted.

The people who WRITE it NEVER ever have to use it. That's for schmucks like me to figure out! We do take training, and most of it is good info, but some things....like, on a roof ladder on a house addition, to reach a gable wall...how do you put plastic sheeting down and NOT slide off the roof? Stuff like that...the best that government can produce <sheesh>

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

GibsonGM wrote:
phil wrote:" At some point reality must suck for people who write this stuff, then try to adhere to it.

The people who WRITE it NEVER ever have to use it. That's for schmucks like me to figure out! We do take training, and most of it is good info, but some things....like, on a roof ladder on a house addition, to reach a gable wall...how do you put plastic sheeting down and NOT slide off the roof? Stuff like that...the best that government can produce <sheesh>

That's the truth. Most of them wouldn't know lead from brass. Kind of like the people coming up with unachievable vehicle emission standards, yet none of them have a clue how an internal combustion engine works. Bureaucrats at their best (or worst, depending on how you look at it). And I can just about guarantee that none of them have ever tried to put any of their baloney into practice.