Window sash tooling

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Window sash tooling

Post by phil »

if you arent'; using them already you might make up some featherboards.
You can just make them or there are commercial plastic ones. they help keep the material tight to your fence and prevent kickbacks so that might make it a little safer or prevent them from wandering away from the guide fence during the cut.

on the tablesaw sometimes they make a box that drops right over the fence with mountings for such attachments some of the extruded aluminum fences have slots and things to mount jigs like that. you can figure a way to mount them to your shaper. often just a C-clamp to hold them to the table will do. if you want you can use one to hold the stock down and a second one to hold it tight to the fence and it will make the operation a little safer and improve accuracy. the wood can't easily Kick back because the featherboard prevents it from moving any way but into the blade. This is pretty basic so you might know already. Glad to hear you got blades that work for you.

here's an example:
https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/woodwor ... ds-3537009

KenN
Knows the back streets

Re: Window sash tooling

Post by KenN »

Thanks Phil. I bought some plastic featherboards, they are ok. For the sash building I am doing, the tricky or scary part is shaping the skinny muntins.

In my practice runs, I found I feel safest with just clamping a suitable board to the table. It gives me a long flat edge across the whole surface, to keep the stock pressed in against the fence. I just have to focus on down and forward as I push it slowly through.