Sarco Dual Glaze

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Sarco Dual Glaze

Post by PaulJohnson »

Quick question

What is the skin over time before priming/finish for Sarco Dual Glaze - not the type M?

Q&A online suggests 2-3 weeks. I thought it was shorter.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Sarco Dual Glaze

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Jade can probably give a better answer, but when I used it (and I still have a lot more window sashes to do), two weeks was about right to fully cure.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I believe, your not to prime Sarco, just paint after a couple of weeks of drying time.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

the difference in dual glaze and type m is that type m has more naptha to encourage a quicker dry time...

dual glaze is for applying to sash outdoors...type m is for shop application...

oil products set up by oxidation, in other words by air flow...generally you have
consistent air flow outdoors so that's why dual glaze is marketed for exterior
application...I have fans going in my shop after priming, puttying and finish painting
with oil paint...it's not like magic happens and the air flow dries things super quickly,
it just aides in set up time especially in humid weather...

sarco suggests 2 weeks for either product...depending on the volume of putty, I typically
allow 5 days...for skinny little muntins with short glazing bars and narrow rabbets, 48 hours
may work especially if you use oil paints...for wide and tall glazing bars and rabbets you may
want to allow a week or more...

I've been using sarco type m for about 12 years now and know the 'feel' of putty that is
ready for paint...just a touch gritty at the surface when an index is run gently over the top...

sarco suggests that you do not prime over the putty...this was a claim made many decades ago
when primers and paints were very different...I asked jim sarsfield (get it? s-a-r and c-o for company)
if they had done any recent testing regarding primer and they haven't...I know some people who
prime over type m without issue...if you plan to do that, the longer you allow for skin over, the better...

and there you have....
....jade

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

Many thanks