Moisture Meter Recommendation, Please

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Moisture Meter Recommendation, Please

Post by PaulJohnson »

Good day all,

One of my window restoration efforts is to repair the sills and trim around some windows. There is a fair amount of rot and dampness.

I am interested in your recommendations for a quality moisture meter. What you like about it, what you dislike, etc. Your recommendation can also be which one not to purchase.

Many thanks,

PJ

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Moisture Meter Recommendation, Please

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I've got one I keep in the basement. Nothing super expensive or fancy - it's an Acurite that cost about $10 at a local hardware store. It does the job.

Hopefully once you have re-done the glazing and made sure the sash joints are tight, a lot of that problem will go away. One thing you may want to check is the pitch of the sill. I've seen a few that have been flat enough to allow water to accumulate versus pitched away from the house.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Moisture Meter Recommendation, Please

Post by GibsonGM »

Stihl makes a good one. https://www.amazon.com/Stihl-Wood-Digital-Moisture-Meter/dp/B0056TLHIE

Not that they're great or anything, but they can give you some indication of what's going on. I use mine mostly on firewood, LOL.

Agree with Revival - get it dry (even if you have to cover it for a time with plastic allowing air to come in from below), check pitch, then refinished and most problems disappear.