Cupola

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Cupola

Post by PaulJohnson »

Lots of work going on at the house.
While I work on some sashes, our contractor has been busy.

In an earlier post i posted a pic of the new roof. Yesterday, he installed our new cupola. Today, I added the light.

It was pretty toasty up in the attic. I think the outcome was well worth it.

21AF8C64-D15A-45A2-B5D4-0C05C22B7D0A.jpeg
21AF8C64-D15A-45A2-B5D4-0C05C22B7D0A.jpeg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 410 times

DE570C59-AF06-485C-81C3-C6A53E172ADF.jpeg
DE570C59-AF06-485C-81C3-C6A53E172ADF.jpeg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 410 times

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Cupola

Post by mjt »

Nice!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

that's a neat feature. Im wondering if its for ventilation , or does it let light down inside the house? I can see how the light might attract flying insects but it sure looks neat.

is that a zinc strip for moss? Im doing my roof and full of questions. Im installing some of the typical plastic vents but It would be nice to do something more pleasing. Then again I'm always over-complicating things I do and then run over my own timeline.

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

Phil

The cupola is for aesthetics only. I used a 21st century smart light bulb so we can change the colors with the seasons. Also, blue for law enforcement and red for firefighters (my son is a firefighter).

The cap on the roof is azex. It serves as a ridge cap where the cedar shakes meet the asphalt shingles on the back side of the house. Another alternative we considered was rolled copper. It would have been an “expensive” nice touch.

To combat the moss we have trimmed back the trees around the house to maximize the sun and minimize the dampness.

Edit: My contractor is amazing and meticulous . He installed ice and water shield, an underlayment paper, and a mesh pad prior to the shakes. I can get you more details on the material in you are interested.

Hope that helps.

PJ