Substitue for Turpentine in Bloturp

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
ZoraQ
Settling in

I Found Some! (Was: Substitue for Turpentine in Bloturp)

Post by ZoraQ »

I was down at my local Woodcraft store picking up some stain and lo and behold there were two pints of Turpentine on the shelf. Needless to say I grabbed both pints. I forgot to ask them what the current situation is but I have enough to get me through the next few projects.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve anything long term. I'll have to remember to grab some next time I'm driving home from out of state.

Krista
Just Arrived

Re: Substitue for Turpentine in Bloturp

Post by Krista »

I spent quite awhile staring at the “for artists” can at HD last week, trying to figure out what in the heck it is. They did have the real thing at Woodcraft, a couple cans like the above poster said. It didn’t occur to me that I should buy both though. Now I regret that.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

'for artists' only is one way of getting away with selling a product some people think is
unhealthy....
ben moore sells gallons and quarts of oil paint (still available in massachusestts where my business is located...IMPERVO has been around forever and
SuperSpec DTM has been available for about 8 years or so...both cans say 'for metal substrates
only'...that's silly and everyone knows it will be used for wood trim...DTM means 'direct to metal'...you can't paint metal with latex/water based paint because
it will rust...
.....jade

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:Unfortunately, it's true. What the rationale is, I have no idea:

https://www.sunnysidecorp.com/product.php?p=t&b=s&n=87032

Page 2 of https://www.sunnysidecorp.com/pdfs/MSDS_87032.pdf probably gives the why (I would guess)
Mick...

ZoraQ
Settling in

Post by ZoraQ »

heartwood wrote:'for artists' only is one way of getting away with selling a product some people think is
unhealthy....

What you find on the shelf now here is "Painters Solvent" and "Artist Solvent". I'm guessing that it's a VOC compliant alternative to the stuff that they had taken off the market. I looked at the MSDS sheets for them and they seem to just be a different mix of petrochemical distillates. You used to be able to buy quarts of oil based paints and primers here on the left coast but it seems that even those are unavailable. I had hope that small pints or quarts of turpentine was available but I checked a half dozen stores and no luck. I'm not sure how Woodcraft had them in stock. Maybe it was old stock or an over site. Either way I'm happy for now.