Restoring Darkened Cracked Shellac Finish on Wood

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Restoring Darkened Cracked Shellac Finish on Wood

Post by Corsetière »

I tried posting this in a furniture restoration specific forum but I was getting a lot of useless replies from inexperienced people, so I thought someone here may have better advice. I bought this table that clearly came out of someone's garage or barn and the shellac has become super dark, cracked, and and there are some uneven, worn spots, some light water damage... It is so dark that it is almost black at this point and I don't think it would have been quite that dark originally. I think it would look much better cleaned up, lightened just a bit, and with a new slightly glossy shellac finish.

Here's what I am considering doing, reamalgamation...
https://www.facebook.com/nick.slavik.92 ... ?sfns=xmwa

Do you think that would be a good idea? Do you have experience with this? I just don't want to suck all the charm out of it but currently it is a bit too rustic for my house. I thought since it's not an expensive piece, it may be a good one to practice this technique on, too.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Restoring Darkened Cracked Shellac Finish on Wood

Post by Manalto »

A no-nonsense furniture restorer told me he makes a 50/50 mix of turpentine and denatured alcohol with steel wool to refinish stuff like that. (I bought a dresser from him in similar condition.) He said you can go as aggressive or light as you want; you just have to know when to stop. Note that I haven't tried it myself, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Yeah that is basically what the video shows. I think it might be worth trying. I paid very little for the table and if I go too far, I can always strip it completely and stain/shellac to match my staircase. lol!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

It has some scratches and lost the finish in some areas so I think with this you are pretty much going to try amalgamation and then work towards stripping and refinishing. You won't hurt much by trying so you can practice before you end up stripping it. The difficult part will be the carving. If you are wiping on shellac then the carving will not take it evenly so it will pile up in the recessed areas. You might try brushing or spraying it on and use fine steel wool with wool soap between coats. if it were a flat surface you could trend a little toward french polishing techniques. You could pick a darker color of shellac to try to mimic the original darkness. another option might be to strip it then change to lacquer and lacquer toners. You might find it sprays and dries up better.

where there is finish loss in the areas of the carving. I think that is too much to just even up through amalgamation techniques. You might have success on the top.

You might check this article here, It seems accurate. I don't use or endorse facebook due to that company's ongoing runaway privacy and data sharing rights issues so that other link is in an area I refuse to access.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-imp ... inish1.htm

Phil

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Yeah, I already read that one, Phil. I'm think you're right I may have to add some more stain in the really worn areas. I hate to totally strip it but I might end up there...

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Corsetière wrote:Do you think that would be a good idea? Do you have experience with this? I just don't want to suck all the charm out of it but currently it is a bit too rustic for my house. I thought since it's not an expensive piece, it may be a good one to practice this technique on, too.

The pair of cabinets I bought for my kitchen had been in a fire, or at least one of them had as the lower shelf was partially burnt and missing !

I liked the dark color of them, but the finish on the tops of the cabinets was fairly damaged, as well as dirty. I wasn't super committed to them remaining varnished if the surface was not redeemable. I tested a small area to see if the finish was shellac (ie will it loosen and dissolve with denatured alcohol ?). It was. I did what the guy in the video did - except I did not even use a scotchbrite pad. I just wet rags with the alcohol and gently wiped the surface until it looked better, and kept using clean rags. I made sure the cabinets were dry overnight and gave them a couple of coats of amber shellac and they looked surprisingly good. Over a year later they are still holding up fine.

This is the seller's photo. Between the time this was taken and they were sold to me there was major light colored paint spatter on the front of one of them. I seem to recall that I was able to get most of that off with some coaxing with the alcohol though I may have done some light sanding in the stubborn areas. (Both cabinets were missing backs, too and had started to trapezoid without the support.This was remedied with new backs and some physical persuasion):

wellandcabinets.JPG
wellandcabinets.JPG (59.1 KiB) Viewed 4116 times

Kitchen cabinet after. This was the worse one with the fire damage, but was better for the kitchen location because of the swing direction of the doors. It just looks like a cabinet, again :

kitchcab.jpeg
kitchcab.jpeg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 4116 times

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Corsetière wrote:Yeah that is basically what the video shows.

Oops, I missed the link to the video in your post. (Why spend 45 seconds showing a technique when you can spend five minutes?) I wonder why the furniture restorer that I bought my dresser from mixed the alcohol with turpentine? (Or maybe he said mineral spirits. Potato, potahto.)

Corsetière wrote:I paid very little for the table...

But it's nice. I'm looking forward to seeing your results!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

what I would do is use turpentine, danish oil and vinegar. rub it in , rub it down dry. Do it a few times. the vinegar wont; mix in its just in there to help clean.

Then use some touch up pens. You can get the alcohol based sharpies in an assortment of colors so do some careful touch ups to hide any damage you don't like.
If there are chunks missing or cigarette burns the lacquer sticks can be used.

That way it will look like an old piece with it's original finish retained. Otherwise you start stripping and mucking with the finish and it will look like a piece of furniture someone previously restored. Just make it shine, hide the imperfections that bug you , accept it has some darkening and some pebbling and crazing to the finish. It proves it's age. do a few rub ons and rub off and wait a few days and repeat. it'll look great. That's more respectful to the piece in my opinion, but that's just my opinion. I think it's a nice table and I'd hate to destroy the beautiful patina if it were mine. It's different if it became a plant stand and the damage presented a lot of difficulty, but the finish on that just proves it's 100 years old or so. To maintain it , just do the same. It won't look so dried out , it will still look like an old table. the finish has done well if you think about it's long history.

Ive been watching a lot of radio restoration videos. there is one guy on there that does a swell job of explaining the technical side and then proceeds to give each a really half assed finishing job and in my opinion destroys the collectability of the piece. It happens far too often.
here's an example.
maybe it's a lady I don't know and I'm not being critical, its about the radio but he/she wears dresses but sounds male to me. That's fine Its not about that. If you watch a few you'll see what I mean. Good technical troubleshooting and info throughout all of them. very minimalist parts replacement. Horrible and destructive finishing skills. for me I'd rather do one piece and not 20 and do a nice job. leave the others for someone else rather than slopping minwax on antiques and just making a big mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd75wbMnm70

one thing Ive been focusing on is doing minimal repairs to spot areas. hide everything else with tape , even if it's just a tiny scratch, then work on that not the surrounding. It is surprising how nice you can make things look just by really focusing attention on the marks and not being tempted to muck with the whole piece. That's restoration.

Refinishing should reflect the age of the piece and not something that came out of a time machine. If you refinish then try your best to mimic the age of the finish that would be expected but factor in it's age into that equation. You can strip it right down if you wish to because it's yours to do with as you please. Ive seen a lot of radios done by well intended people who wash the finish right off and end up with something way too light to look correct to the age. end up with something that looks shiny but with coloring that is totally incorrect.. Its common. I won't buy radios like that myself and most others into collecting don't want them after that. no one wants to buy someone else's mess. Collectors want originality and they are usually ok with some marking to the original finish. the most highly desired pieces have been maintained, maybe touched up but a good restoration should leave the person wondering if it's been refinished or if it were just really well cared for. the best restorations go unnoticed, that's the aim, but that's my opinion and everyone doesn't have to agree. a lot of old radios used lacquer and heavy toners. even in the 30's they respected the look of aged and darkened wood and they were trying to mimic that effect.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

I think I will try this method on all of my trim that has not been painted.

The window sashes are dry, however, so if I use this method for those, can I still "nourish" them with blopentine?
1939 Minimal Traditional

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:
Corsetière wrote:Yeah that is basically what the video shows.

Oops, I missed the link to the video in your post. (Why spend 45 seconds showing a technique when you can spend five minutes?) I wonder why the furniture restorer that I bought my dresser from mixed the alcohol with turpentine? (Or maybe he said mineral spirits. Potato, potahto.)

Corsetière wrote:I paid very little for the table...

But it's nice. I'm looking forward to seeing your results!

Yeah it drives me nuts when they take forever to explain a simple technique. Maybe I will video this project and condense it for the next folks who are searching for the info.
Last edited by Corsetière on Wed May 22, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.