Radiator cover

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Radiator cover

Post by Lily left the valley »

Very smart work. Thank you for including all the build related images/video.

I've been looking at a slew of different approaches/materials to cover design over time (usually near fall when we're wrapping up clean up in the garden and I remember it's that time for the heat to kick in again). More so of late because half of our radiators are under windows, and that's where the cats want to be. They get none too pleased when the heat kicks in and it's a bit too toasty.

When we closed on our home, we found two metal radiator covers in the garage and none in the house. We thought they were in the garage because they were a bit rusty. (A finished piece of wood that was likely used as a top for one radiator we saw in a listing photo vanished by viewing and did not reappear on the property by closing which was a bit baffling.)

When we measured them to figure out what rooms they belonged to, they didn't fit any of the radiators--either too small or way too big, depending. So now we're wondering where they came from. Could be someone found them curbside.

I personally prefer ones with wood framing as you built because less chance of "ouch!" moments if you brush up against one when they are at their hottest. Wood covers with the metal screen inserts also remind me of when I was a child. My dad constructed a built-in that spanned the entirety of one outside wall of my bedroom which included a cover for the radiator and framed the windows above it in the center. A long shelf ran across the very top, and adjustable book shelves ran down both sides with the bottom sections below the level of the top of the radiator cover having sliding doors for toy/science kit storage and such, and on the right column he made a small pull down desk of the shelf area just above the sliding doors where a solid piece piano hinged to the shelf held closed with a hook and eye, and when pulled down brass chains inside held it flat in place where I did homework or crafts (fashion plates!) until I outgrew it. Recalling those details reminds me of how I got into woodworking--from helping my dad with various projects once I was old enough. :)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

That is a wonderful memory that you shared.

I think everyone who dedicates themselves to restoring old homes and wood crafting privately hope that generations to come are left with fond memories of their creations. My belief - it leaves a piece of themselves that hopefully has brought someone joy and happiness.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Paul Thanks for sharing the pics and the video wasn't off topic or anything. it looks professional. In my opinion I'm happy to hear about what other things people are into as well as house restoration as many have similar hobbies and common interests. any sort of woodworking relates to old houses anyway. I fix the machines for a living so I am around lots of woodworkers to ask questions from so I learn a lot that way too.

my home shop is pretty crowded because I am always bringing stuff home to fix or finding tools and machines and things to fix up. I dont really have room for a back table on my saw and I mounted a router under the side table which is handy. Ive gotten pretty good at running stuff through and catching it for myself on the other side and I have to shift things around but I have a pretty good battery of tools to play with and I spend a lot of time making wood dust as well. when I need a table it usually looks like a pile of blocks stacked on top of my jointer or something similar and temporary and if I need to use a different machine sometimes I have to shift things about but that's ok.
For me doing woodworking and restoration is a hobby and sometime I need to do as it is time to relax the old brain and instead focus more on motor skills, i think it helps to have time like that to do your own hobby, however you choose.
The perforated metal worked well as a grille. Ive been trying to make a return air vent to fit into a baseboard and Im thickening up my baseboards and reinstalling them with plans to make wainscott to go up to about eye level.
If you are making boxes for radiators it wouldn't be a far stretch to also make air returns and heat vents for special places, as many old houses have modified heating systems and they don't all necessarily have vents that really tie in with the decor or fit the standardized sizes like modern houses.
I have some bronze mesh that I've been saving, its sort of like a fire screen but with many links of finer wire and it was part of a paper mill, the slurry would fall upon it in the paper making process. I'm not sure if it is open enough and it's stuff I only have so much of and would be hard to find more. I didn't want to restrict my air return so I started making a sort of grill from brass bits I accumulated instead. It should work. hard to calculate how much air flow one really needs. I guess air returns are not on your personal to- do list if you have radiators ;-)

Phil

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

It is a hobby for me, as well. And, my relief from the day job. Zoom is not allowed in the shop 😀

My goal is to bring my grandfather’s and uncle’s business back to life and have it be my retirement gig. My thought is anything home decor - which could include air returns. Thank you for the idea. What I don’t know is if the market is large enough.

Like our antique homes we antique homeowners are a rare breed.

Lily left the valley

phil wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:08 pm{snip}I have some bronze mesh that I've been saving, its sort of like a fire screen but with many links of finer wire and it was part of a paper mill, the slurry would fall upon it in the paper making process. I'm not sure if it is open enough and it's stuff I only have so much of and would be hard to find more. I didn't want to restrict my air return so I started making a sort of grill from brass bits I accumulated instead. It should work. hard to calculate how much air flow one really needs. I guess air returns are not on your personal to- do list if you have radiators ;-) Phil
For one of the radiator covers I was thinking about using regular metal screen like for a window thinking I could dry brush paint on the surface like a canvas. I've also thought about just putting canvas panels in instead, but don't know how well they'd hold up in a bathroom (maybe duck cloth would work?) I've no idea if the screening will work, but I thought it might still be enough air flow, and using dry brush would be adequate to keep the holes open enough. Still don't know and it's way down the list of things to try on my To Do list (which is awesome to behold.)

I'm also still sketching out the frame which will have towel bars connected, both for hand towel and shower towels. That's the one I was planning to use the window screen with. The notion was I would use wood dividers to both support the mesh better and to give it a sort of wainscot look.

I thought it might fit in with the look we'll be shooting for in that bathroom--though fixing up that room is way down the list, hence my not focusing on it much just yet.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil

Post by phil »

I think the way it was done for the hot water rad was fine. or course anything that restricts airflow is going to reduce efficiency. maybe the result would be that the radiator would need to run a little hotter or a little longer?
I sort of finished making my air return vent , Ill post pics of that separately.

PaulJohnson
Knows the back streets

Post by PaulJohnson »

Lily - I have see some covers made with sheets of seat cane. It is a much softer look than the metal. The only challenge is the limited sizes.

Lily left the valley

PaulJohnson wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:41 am Lily - I have see some covers made with sheets of seat cane. It is a much softer look than the metal. The only challenge is the limited sizes.
:thumbup: Cane is something else I've considered. If I do the multi panel style front for the downstairs bath, that would help with the size limits. What I typically see available is 24", some styles in 36", and one site has mostly 24" on average, but will allow orders of 36" or even 48" width. That last shop is actually here in MA, so it'd be nice to be shopping more locally as well.

One English shop mentioned some useful assembly info on their site that caught my eye related to my painting notion: "This machine made sheet cane is suitable material for use as radiator covers. The cane, when soaked for 40 minutes in hot water and when stapled securely to a frame, will dry taut and will not sag with temperature changes. Once dry, it can be stained or simply spray-painted at a fraction of the cost of brass."

phil

Post by phil »

Expanded metal could be another contender, maybe in brass?
have a look here :
https://www.brasswiremesh.net/brasswire ... sheet.html

Lily left the valley

phil wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:46 pmExpanded metal could be another contender, maybe in brass?
have a look here : https://www.brasswiremesh.net/brasswire ... sheet.html
Metal is what I'm considering for a few of the covers we'll eventually add. I've been trying to figure out if the wicker will hold up well in a full bath, or if the humidity might be an issue. Of course, if we add an exhaust fan, that might lessen my concern. (It's on the list....)