Masonry sealer on grout?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Masonry sealer on grout?

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I just finished grouting the shower in the master bath and I used pebbles on the floor. Which means there's a lot of grout between the pebbles. I have some Drylok Masonry Sealer that I used to seal the exposed brick wall in the bathroom. Do y'all think it would be OK to use to seal the grout on the shower floor? I can't seem to find any info online. I'm not opposed to using actual grout sealer, but I have almost a gallon of this stuff and I'd like for it not to go to waste. Just wondered what you District experts think?
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Masonry sealer on grout?

Post by phil »

I'd use a thick coating of two part epoxy for that. But you could ask a tiler.
my neighbor put a pebble tile floor in her shower, sort of an open shower with glass just covering the sides, sloped floor. It leaked downstairs.

be prepared the epoxy will stink a little until it cures.
Phil

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

phil wrote:I'd use a thick coating of two part epoxy for that. But you could ask a tiler.
my neighbor put a pebble tile floor in her shower, sort of an open shower with glass just covering the sides, sloped floor. It leaked downstairs.

Tile isn't a waterproof layer in a shower. That's why you install a waterproofing membrane first...

phil

Post by phil »

in that case she did but it leaked for some reason. It was hard to tell why without ripping stuff out though.

mjt

Post by mjt »

Or it wasn't installed properly. It happens. In fact it happened to my mother-in-law.

phil

Post by phil »

I'm no expert on tile or grout but my take was that if she just coats it with that it'll be non porous. It's a bit slippery but with that pebble stuff maybe it would be ok. Of course the membrane should be installed irregardless. I guess you'd glue it around the drain or use a flange and washer or something. Maybe my neighbor's leaked there.

I love the idea of making the whole washroom a wet zone, with a drain, then you could clean it so easily with a wet mop like in some commercial buildings. the open showers with a little slope in the floor are nice. good for people who have trouble stepping in and out of the bathtub.

the trap needs to stay wet. I lived in a house where it had a floor drain and then hooked to the hot water line was a little gizmo that would just dribble a bit every time you started the hot water. that was to keep the floor trap wet. I guess you could add one of those to the shower taps or something so it didn't go dry and release the stink from the sewer. Maybe it could share the trap with the sink or something as long as the trap stays wet I think it would be ok.

In mine I'd like to replace the tub maybe use a claw foot one. the trap is easy to get to from downstairs but I want to finish the ceiling. I wonder if you can add the trap under the tub somehow if it's an old claw foot one. I hate the idea of burying it in the ceiling downstairs. It could have a access panel I guess. how is it normally done? do they bury the trap with drywall in new houses?

mjt

Post by mjt »

There are a number of waterproofing membrane systems. There are systems that are fabric (Schluter), board (Wedi), rubber (Oatey), and liquid (Red Guard).

All of our shower and clawfoot tub traps are buried under tile without access panels. They get used often enough that they all stay wet.

awomanwithahammer

I did use a waterproofing membrane--Schluter--before I installed the tile and grout. I believe I installed everything correctly. I just wanted to see if the masonry sealer would work as a grout sealer. If the pebbles were larger, I don't think I would use it because it could be too slippery. But since they are smaller and I used sanded grout which constitutes a large percentage of the surface area, it should have enough grip to not be slippery.
Bonnie

mjt

Post by mjt »

Given that Drylock is essentially paint, much like Red Guard, I wouldn't recommend it.

(I'm not an expert nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

awomanwithahammer

mjt wrote:Given that Drylock is essentially paint, much like Red Guard, I wouldn't recommend it.

(I'm not an expert nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

???
Bonnie