Will this floor project actually be a small one?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Will this floor project actually be a small one?

Post by phil »

phil wrote:Here is a search showing some samples of intarsia used in flooring examples. Some do it more as art pieces.
I think it would be really fun and cool do do something creative and decorative in that space. It might not have to be super involved to look nice. you might even consider doing it from things like cork or tile? you dont; really need a lot of complex skills just a lot of patience and some ideas about what would look good. It's a bit like stained glass only uses different types of wood instead of glass.

I though that could give the area reason to be different from the rest of the floor instead of trying to weave in new flooring and make it all match up invisibly. I thought maybe if it wasn't' super complex and fit your house style then no one would really know how long it had been there.

This is a bit like working with veneer, but thicker. there are a lot of techniques like for example a rosette or a flower shape could be made in the shape of a block and then sliced up so that the slices are used to create a repeating pattern. some pieces can be flipped to create a mirror image. there is no end to the ideas you might think of or images to copy ideas from.

you can get little bandsaws that sit on a tabletop for about $100 or so and you could get into cutting out some fairly intricate designs with one or use it for slicing. It's mostly a matter of cutting out pieces on a line you have drawn out. after it's put together you could sand it flat with what's there. I'd use a piece of plywood cut to fit then build that up more with the wood pieces. If you cut the plywood to fit the area then you could put it on a table and it would work sort of like a jigsaw puzzle. If your old flooring was 3/4" thick then if you used 1/2" or plywood as a base you could apply your pieces to the plywood rather than keep crouching on the floor to fit them.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... rjhTv70y9c

this one of a Keltic knot is just straight cuts, most of them are repeated. it looks fancy but it really isn't so complex once you realize how the pieces can be laid up in interesting ways. I think it does a lot to transform the room.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... N4JxNN90vA