Jade, Casey and the rest of the pro’s

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Gothichome

Jade, Casey and the rest of the pro’s

Post by Gothichome »

What projects are you folks working on these days?

heartwood

Re: Jade, Casey and the rest of the pro’s

Post by heartwood »

this is one of the houses we are currently working on:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/399- ... 9765_zpid/
unfortunately, it looks nothing like this today...completely empty, the pool has been removed, it's mostly gutted except for the trim, doors, windows and floors...the contractor was set to replace all the windows--even the fourteen 22 and 49 diamond pane leaded glass sash...the owner lives in Atlanta and reached out...we met, she was really hoping she could save the windows and I convinced her we could...we are finishing up the first batch of 6 over 6 double hungs and they are gorgeous sturdy sash painted with a black exterior (I love dark colors for exterior!)...

we have two other smaller projects in the shop as well...21 12 over 12 sets on one house and 20 sets of
large 8 over 1 sash....for the 12 over 12 sets, the client requested that we use Fine Paints of Europe...
it's a quality paint but over priced and extremely difficult to work with...it runs like crazy no matter how thin
the coats and it attracts every speck of dust from within a one mile radius...it comes in 2.5 litre cans (less than
a gallon)...4 cans, one quart of thinner and one natural bristle brush--$640!! it requires a 4 coat application and
clean up is over the top labor wise...

I also have a couple of people in my shop who pay an hourly rate for me to teach them technique and allow use of the shop, tools and supplies to restore their own sash as they can't afford to pay for us to restore them...talk about people 'welling with pride'! I use this money to pay for my travel expenses as I enjoy long distance walk around the country....

next professional...................

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Jade, I love your generosity in sharing not only your knowledge with those of us who want to learn, but also your space and your precious tools. I feel so lucky to have learned from you, even from a long distance! I would have paid for the privilege. I'm very proud of my windows, too!

And that goes for all of you professionals, as well. Even when I haven't asked a direct question, just reading responses to others' questions adds to my general and sometimes specific knowledge. I couldn't tell you how many times I run up against an unforeseen issue and think, "Wait! I read something about this on the District!" and there it is.
Bonnie

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Bonnie, I second your gracious thank you. By no means do I feel like I know all the ins and outs of window restoration (as you can tell from my dopey questions) but at least I feel like I have some momentum and an idea of the right materials (Sarco!) to use. You have good reason to be proud of those windows!

Gratitude to Jade goes double for me because of her generosity and clear instruction.

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

That's an impressive property. Kudos to the owner on having you "save the sash". I find windows are the eyes of the building. I wonder if they are able to get an abatement on the property taxes there, since they bought the property so inexpensively compared to the accessed value? I was curious because I have a good friend looking at a unique property like this and may be able to buy it for 40% below asking. The problem is the $28K property tax bill.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jade, your are a very busy woman. The home you posted is a fine home indeed. When you say gutted, do mean removing plaster ect and going drywall,insulation ect. I certainly hope they do not paint over the only unpainted wood work left.
And your input here in the District is greatly appreciated.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

thanks for your kind words folks!
gothic, yea, plenty of plaster removed for insulation then drywall...
bathrooms and kitchen pulled about and reconfigured...
the wood paneling and trim will be 'freshened up' by someone i'm
told is very good at what he does--please not polyurethane!

the contractor first treated me like an invader as he had planned--actually
priced out--replacement windows throughout...he's replacing a couple of
doors that have seen a lot of use and abuse over the years but that I think
are completely restorable...

yes, I am fortunate to busy all year round, no slow down at winter time!

...jade