Dry well with pump?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Cajun_In_NC
Just Arrived

Dry well with pump?

Post by Cajun_In_NC »

Hello all,

Please bear with me, LOL. I am trying to come down a few notches on the stress of frustrating day in a string of exasperating house matters. Who hasn't? ha ha. Trying to laugh to keep from crying.

Trying to figure out the main source of water that floods our basement during super heavy rains, I accidentally discover what might be some kind of dry well with a pump in it (?).

We haven't been in the house that long relatively speaking. Long story short, I decided to rake plantlife, old mulch etc away from the home's foundation today to get a better look at foundation vents. I stepped back to rake further when I uncover some wood nailed together in a small square platform. Maybe about 2' x 2'. I flipped that over to find a deteriorating round piece of plastic with a handle on it. I flip that back to find a large bucket with an open pipe on one side, another pipe opposite and directed downward in the bucket and to its side I think maybe a small (1/4" maybe) conduit for a wire (?). The bucket is almost full of water and dirt, gravel etc. A foot or so away is a pipe coming out of the ground maybe 5", directed upwards with an attached blue tip that we found on pipes that were discharging water from the basement (AC, sump pump) when we bought the house. The bucket rim and the round cover / lid are deteriorating.

I know what I am describing is not a "historic" or old house feature / function, but if anyone knows something about this, please share. Thanks much.
The class of life never ends. Hopefully, the lessons become more fun over time

"Laissez les bon temps rouler, just don't let them roll over you!" (me, 1990s)
:lolno:

Gothichome

Re: Dry well with pump?

Post by Gothichome »

Cajun, sounds like you may have an exterior sump. Being beside the foundation I bet it’s connected to shallow weeping tile set up. Often these drain off away from the home into a low area away from the home or in some cases into the storm sewer system. I bet all you’re missing is the sump pump that goes into the pail. Just a guess based on your discription.
It’s been a while now, other than making new discoveries what have been up to old home related.

Cajun_In_NC
Just Arrived

Re: Dry well with pump?

Post by Cajun_In_NC »

Gothichome,

Thank you for the reply. I will look up more on this as I am definitely unfamiliar with this system. The discovery has emphasized some concerns. I appreciate the information.
The class of life never ends. Hopefully, the lessons become more fun over time

"Laissez les bon temps rouler, just don't let them roll over you!" (me, 1990s)
:lolno: