Window repair - which surfaces do not get painted? (plus top sash question)

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: Window repair - which surfaces do not get painted? (plus top sash question)

Post by Gothichome »

Go with the plopentine.

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

Hi all, it’s been a while for me here. I hope everyone is doing well with all of the craziness that 2020 has brought.

I rehabilitated and put in the one interior storm window that I made yesterday. We have had a few days with a cold wind blowing from the north, and tonight it will be in the 40’s. We actually ran a little heat yesterday morning for the first time.

The interior storm fit so tight I had to rip the plastic to get it out of the window this past spring, so I completely redid all of the plastic, tape, and foam for this year. I also added two brass pull handles so I can remove it without destroying it.

Last winter after I put the interior storm in, with some windy days I could hear the window sashes rattling but I couldn’t do anything about it without destroying the interior storm. This year I made sure the window is latched tight (had to straighten out the top sash), and I put some shims in to press the meeting rails tight against the stops. So far everything looks tight and ready for winter. Just have to convince the cats to leave it alone.

I hope everyone is well, and getting their windows ready for winter!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ken, good to see your post, it has been a while. We had to turn the furnace on as well for one night as well. You are now complete ready for winter?

KenN
Knows the back streets

Re: Window repair - which surfaces do not get painted? (plus top sash question)a

Post by KenN »

That’s the only winter preparation we have done. I sit by this window every morning so the chill gets to me.

I did build 2 sashes this year but I don’t know if I will get them in this year. They are almost done. I built one Queen Anne style with colored glass and one plain regular style single pane bottom sash.

We are doing some getting ready for next summer now though, we are having central a/c put in. The crew is here today actually to do the first part, they should finish next week. We won’t feel the benefit of that till next year.

We have been using 2 window units for the last 5 years. I started this out thinking we would put in mini-splits, but in the end regular central a/c seemed to be the lesser evil. The nice empty walk up attic will now be filled with a/c equipment and vents, and we are losing space in the already small closets to vent to the first floor ceilings, but we are getting the whole house done and won’t have the mini-split wall units to look at.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ken, we need pictures. Did you do the stained glass yourself or was it original and you built the frame? We are having new leaded panels made up for Gothichome.