Window repair - which surfaces do not get painted? (plus top sash question)

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Window repair - which surfaces do not get painted? (plus top sash question)

Post by GibsonGM »

Yeah, the only other way that really makes sense is what Phil said. Hacksaw blade. You'll have a few holes there tho, where you need to drill to get it in. If they're done no thicker than the blade, and in a line, you may get the blade in thru the slot, if that makes sense.

The multi-tool is a GREAT addition to the toolbox, IF you'll have future need for it...they're not that expensive (tho the blades are), but not for 1-time use! :)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

a utility knife could work, depending how thick it is. maybe clamp a block there to use as a guide and do a bunch of strokes and with a little determination that could work. Maybe just kind of stab it in then rock the blade back and forth. then repeat as you go along. Trying not to cut yourself of course. Some of the box cutters have heavier blades than others. I like the ones with the 1" wide blades but its easy to cut yourself with them. maybe use safety glasses in case it snaps on you or something if you do that. I have a theory that Olfa owns the Band-aid company ;-)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ken, your pocket access is fitted on a V notch on the bottom and a downward cut at the top. Pull the fastener, probably a screw. You can then pry it out from the top, I use a really thin screwdriver. At least that’s how my pocket access works.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

alright guys, put your power tools away!
yes, indeed, it is not so common but I've seen it a number of times...when the window was built the pocket cover was not cut
completely through on the top and bottom....sometimes the vertical cut doesn't reach all the way to
the top or bottom either...here's what I do: insert a stiff putty knife at the top of the vertical cut at the
side of the pocket cover and gently but firmly move the knife side to side putting tension on the cover...
do the same on the other top side then both bottom sides...you may hear a 'crack' of the wood breaking--not to panic...then take the knife and insert it horizontally as far as it will go into the top and bottom horizontal cuts and move the knife up and down til you hear another 'crack' and feel the cover release...you may need to go side to side again in the vertical slot...this means you are the first person to remove the sash pocket covers since the house was
built! congratulations!!

let us know how it goes...
....jade

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

Well it’s getting cold enough to stop messing with the windows for the winter. We got 5 sashes done. 3 windows with bottom sashes only and 1 window with top and bottom done.

We only opened the access panels in two of the windows so far. The first one we broke out as mentioned, and the second one was plunge cut with a multi-tool. When I get to the next one I think I will look at it carefully and see if I can get it to split cleanly.

I just wonder what the intent was, there must have been a method in mind when they did this.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Interesting Ken, absolutely no access to the weights. Jade mentioned she has seen instances were the pocket was not complete but why would they build a casing with no access to the weights is beyond me. Sounds like you have developed a plan that’s working. Post a pic or two, we’d all be interested to see your progress. As far as progress, I only get three complete windows completed in one summer season, so you’re about right on progress.

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

I ran across a term recently, “sash pocket chisel”.

Researching this has led me to some new information that I think helps me understand what is going on with my windows.

When the weather warms up in spring, I will open up another window and look very closely, but I think all I have to do is gently break the panel out as Jade suggests.

Here are some discussions and photos that seem to be the same style. I think the makers of my windows just left out the last step of breaking the pocket door out.

I also ran across and bought a reprint of two old books called “Door making and Window making” which describe and illustrate the same sash pocket door style.

https://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3551

https://paulsellers.com/2014/09/saws-come-back-to-life/

C72E5B9C-3BA7-4A7E-82D1-B904FAF99193.jpeg
C72E5B9C-3BA7-4A7E-82D1-B904FAF99193.jpeg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
E0C82AE3-6987-4BB4-9BAD-9CB35C0400E4.jpeg
E0C82AE3-6987-4BB4-9BAD-9CB35C0400E4.jpeg (82.97 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
BC968740-E69A-436B-8F17-5B08F4B0C304.jpeg
BC968740-E69A-436B-8F17-5B08F4B0C304.jpeg (355.56 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
6E0995DB-FE16-4D46-A4D3-E924E0F0FC18.jpeg
6E0995DB-FE16-4D46-A4D3-E924E0F0FC18.jpeg (71.61 KiB) Viewed 1680 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

And just like that you have a window pocket. When you remove the complexity of ‘how do you make with a power tool’ it seems such simple idea when you see how easily it can be done with a saw and large flat chisel.

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

Some progress this year. We have 4 sashes cleaned up (2 windows), getting their last 2 coats of paint in the next few days.

I was able to cleanly break open one of the sash pockets this morning that has never been opened. Tried different ways of putting pressure on it. Finally got it to break clean and free using the sash pocket chisel in the horizontal cuts that were there. They were pretty thin cut lines, gently hammered the thin wide chisel in there and some up and down wiggling got the fibers to snap.

Hope I can get the rest just as clean. It will be good to have 2 more working and new looking windows soon.
Last edited by KenN on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

congrats ken! I bet it feels good to have a couple more done!