Window repair - which surfaces do not get painted? (plus top sash question)

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
KenN
Knows the back streets

Re: Window repair - which surfaces do not get painted? (plus top sash question)

Post by KenN »

To update progress, windows #9 and #10 are done and back in. The last two for the first floor, #11 and #12 are both out and being worked on.

A few days ago (last week?) we had a very windy storm pass through, and one of the upstairs windows that had a crack in the corner of the glass, got pushed around so much by the wind the glass failed and broke during the night, so we also had to do an emergency start on that window. It is also now out and being worked on, so we have 3 boarded up windows right now, all trying to be finished before it gets too cold.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

you can do this ken!!
good luck......
....jade

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

Down to waiting for the last pair of sashes to dry enough to go back in. They might go in today, I haven’t been out to the barn yet to check on them. With the colder weather the paint is definitely drying slower.

#11 went back in last week. The upstairs window that had broken glass from the wind storm a few weeks ago was also stripped and refinished, new glass etc., and put back in the day before yesterday. A last minute addition, but it is a head start on next year.

Only one window boarded up in the house right now. 13 windows done for this year, and now only 8 to do for next year.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Lucky 13! I congratulate you on and am jealous of your progress.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ken, great to hear of your progress, thirteen windows in one season is a fantastic and great effort. My best window season I only got six.
Looking forward to the pics.
Ron

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :thumbup:

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

GibsonGM wrote:Ken, have you heard of interior storm panels? I use them every year in my 1860 Cape, original windows (which are a little loose too). These things work GREAT. My windows now rival new replacement windows! NO drafts whatsoever. Additional benefit: they keep interior moisture from condensing on the inside of your sashes (mostly, except for where they may bleed a little air).

I built Leeke's original models, but there are several ways to do this. Painted the wooden frames I made up to match the trim, so these things are very unobtrusive.

https://blog.jonudell.net/2014/09/28/a-cost-effective-way-to-winterize-windows/

The draft got to me this morning, I sit by a north facing window in the mornings that is really drafty now. I went out and got some pine 1x2’s, a kit of the shrink film stuff, and some adhesive backed foam insulation strip.

I got through making the frame and checking the fit in the window. I’ll glue it up tomorrow and hopefully get the shrink film on and the foam around the edge. No paint for now.

Tomorrow morning it is supposed to be even colder so it won’t help me tomorrow, but there are more cold days coming.
Last edited by KenN on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

KenN
Knows the back streets

Post by KenN »

And the last window went back in today!

(At least for this year)

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

It was 19° last night and 24° tonight in central Connecticut, cooler than average for this time of year. (I reckon you're slightly warmer on Long Island.) NOAA predicts a milder than usual winter in general, however.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Manalto wrote:It was 19° last night and 24° tonight in central Connecticut, cooler than average for this time of year. (I reckon you're slightly warmer on Long Island.) NOAA predicts a milder than usual winter in general, however.

I certainly hope they are correct, we had our first below freezing temps earlier in the week. Already I am getting tired of the cold.