windows

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
cgutha
Knows the area

windows

Post by cgutha »

Hi everyone,
Since the last time I wrote, I have actually (finally) purchased the Hotel Berry in Velva ND, and incorporated as the "Historic Hotel Berry Bed and Breakfast". We began renovations in June. The objective is to restore the building while bringing it up to code. (It was built before water and electricity.)
I previously debated whether to rebuild or replace the windows. One of you suggested, "Replacement windows are called replacement windows because you have to replace them every twenty years" Having glazed the windows last year, I notice only a few (three out of forty-seven) windows require rebuilding any part of the sash or sill. Although the top sashes were nailed shut, these double hung, double pain windows are in good condition. I need to replace a few pains and finish painting them but such is life after 100 years.
What I have noticed is that some of the metal guides or weather stripping on which the windows ride, are worn. There is a name on them: something like "Monarch ... weather stripping."
The question is: where do I find replacement pieces or what else can I place along the sides of the windows that will function as well as the original?
Also, what is the proper knot for tying the weights?
ceg

Gothichome

Re: windows

Post by Gothichome »

Good for you in restoring rather than replacing. Many owners of historic income properties are not so enlightened. Yes there is a special knot for the sash cord, but to be honest I found on our windows that the knot was too small for the hole and had to double up the knot. This may not be an issue for you. There is a discription and tutorial on the net. I am sure Jade, Casey and others can tight the knot from muscle memory alone.
As far as your weather strip have a look at this site. These are the folks to go to is you want to find old fashioned bronze weather strips. They may also have you Monarch stuff as well.
http://kilianhardware.com
You should post some pics, I’m sure every one here would be interested in seeing your progress.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

A tutorial on sash cord knots.
http://wellhungwindows.com/sashcord.html

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

the knot for the weight is called a 'bosuns' knot....also known as 'the rabbit goes around the tree and into the hole' knot...
i'd need to see a photo of the existing weather stripping...if it's what i'm thinking it is, most of us remove and replace as it is extremely difficult to get it to work correctly once the sash are removed...rarely do I make a suggestion to remove original components but this is an exception...

good luck!
...jade

cgutha
Knows the area

Post by cgutha »

I will send a pic asap. ceg

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Welcome!

I know some folks that grew up not far from you (Westhope...).

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Kilian Hardware in Philadelphia stocks all type of bronze weatherstripping, including the pieces you describe that go in the channels. They'll ship anywhere.

If the weatherstripping is damaged and can't be straightened, replace it. Keep what you can, but some might not be savable, especially those that have been damaged by people carelessly shoving window AC units in and out.

cgutha
Knows the area

Post by cgutha »

here are two blurry attempts at taking a cross section of the weather-strip. oh oh, how do I upload pictures?

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

At the top of the page and at the bottom of the banner you'll see the word "Gallery." Start a file for yourself and you can download to there.

cgutha
Knows the area

Post by cgutha »

this comment can be deleted as I figured out how to create a profile on gallery. thanks. Now the picture of the hotel can become my theme pic. how is that accomplished?
Last edited by cgutha on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.