Point Driver

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Point Driver

Post by Manalto »

I bought a Logan Dual-Drive Elite point driver (Model F500-2), all proud of myself that I'd be shooting points, when it came to that task, like a Western outlaw, around the perimeter of the glass.

Well, the "points" that came with the driver are, I'm guessing, for picture framing. They're about 1/2" long, square at one end (but corners are rounded) and pointed at the other. I used them anyway. It was a no-go. They didn't go into the wood far enough, and efforts to drive them in further failed. I wound up using hardware-store points, just like the old days, before I "knew" stuff.

Is the Logan Dual-Drive Elite point driver (Model F500-2) exclusively for framing, or will it drive proper window-glazing points? If not, which point driver do I need to get (I like doing it that way.) and which points? I guess I'll have to take up framing things - send me your photos!

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: Point Driver

Post by Casey »

This is the one for windows.We had one at work, but it broke glass too much. I would never use one for antique glass. https://www.amazon.com/CRL-PD9-Diamond- ... B00QL5FFNA
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Maybe you can download a file to print them with plastic injection. I'm kidding because that's all over the news. - abou the plastic guns. Us Canadians aren't allowed guns so we just have to use an old fashioned screwdriver or chisel and a hammer lol..

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

I like my painter's 5 in 1 tool for setting points. No fuss no muss.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

you can still be an outlaw......
framing point guns are meant for setting the points in just so far--not far enough for glass in sash....
I use a 1 1/2" chisel laid almost flat on the glass to knock the points home...hold the chisel at the end of the handle and let the weight of the chisel do the work....after all these years, it takes me
only one or two whacks...for someone new at it, expect 5-10 whacks (lizzie borden style)...

good luck...
....jade

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I just push mine home with a putty knife. I quite favor using the modern style point that most on here hate, I just trim them in length with a pair of snips so they dont stick up too far (their biggest, perhaps only downside)
Mick...

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Mick_VT wrote:I just push mine home with a putty knife. I quite favor using the modern style point that most on here hate, I just trim them in length with a pair of snips so they dont stick up too far (their biggest, perhaps only downside)

You said it, Mick...I favor the diamonds, myself. I feel they offer more control, and on those older windows with low muntins, you can control how much 'sticks out' (not) over the glass. But to each their own! :mrgreen:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Like Mick I too use the new style points and a good old fashioned stiff putty knife. Gets the job done.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Thanks, all. Haven't received a single photo for framing yet. The baby grand sits bare.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

GibsonGM wrote:
Mick_VT wrote:I just push mine home with a putty knife. I quite favor using the modern style point that most on here hate, I just trim them in length with a pair of snips so they dont stick up too far (their biggest, perhaps only downside)

You said it, Mick...I favor the diamonds, myself. I feel they offer more control, and on those older windows with low muntins, you can control how much 'sticks out' (not) over the glass. But to each their own! :mrgreen:

These are diamond points, they are driven with the point driver, impossible to start by hand.
31VWCPObdIL._SX425_.jpg
31VWCPObdIL._SX425_.jpg (8.54 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil