Point Driver

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Point Driver

Post by phil »

when Joiners make wood panels, sometimes they use these little rubber balls - called space balls. the intent is to center the panel but it also allows a little room for the panel to stretch and shrink within the frame to incorporate humidity changes.

I wonder if you could also use them for glazing, to keep a glass pane centered and not touching the edges while bedding the glass with putty. maybe they'd need to be even smaller. it would be easy to take a sharp knife and slice a piece of rubber into tiny cubes. it would prevent the glass from wanting to shift so it was sitting on the bottom of the rabbit, or when you have a pane that is a bit of a loose fit but large enough to still be used. Haven't tried it, Just a thought.

here's a link so you can see what I mean.
https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsit ... acers.html

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I did that with the windows I've put in so far. I used a few wee fragments of wood that were lying around to keep the pane off the edges of the rabbet.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Yea for some large panes, I've used broken off matches as settling blocks to keep the glass from sinking downward too. For smaller panes it's not needed though. Anything taller than 24" I would use them.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

me when working on 6 light sash that have glass, wood or rubber around the perimeter of the glass: "why, just why??"
really not necessary....but, if it makes you sleep better at night, go for it!
...jade

phil

Post by phil »

because if the glass is cut a tad small it is important to center it, you don't want the weight of the glass shifting the putty around before it's set or to leave a gap. also I think its nicer if the glass isn't sitting on the bottom. instead for the putty to be able to surround the glass evenly. small ones don't have the weight to shift so much. glass is too hard for that. wood would be fine, sure a piece of a match stick or whatever is fine, you don't need much.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

glass is simply centered by hand...I apply a bed of putty, set the glass with an orbital sander (pad only, no sand paper!!) then finish putty...standard practice is to allow 1/16" of space around the perimeter to allow for expansion and contraction...you can easily move the glass by hand if it's a bit off center...placing spacers on each pane can lead to problems when the wood expands...don't be making things harder than they have to be!! how's that for a little advice??
....jade

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Got my diamond points in the mail today. They're a little pricey - $20 for a wee box (that holds ~5000 points). The cost of diamonds, I guess.

phil

Post by phil »

Yup, You can get diamonds for about that ;-)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-CT-NATURAL-T ... wCaBbnzF6'