Windows without weight pockets - cutting pockets?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
heartwood

Re: Windows without weight pockets - cutting pockets?

Post by heartwood »

gothic, you are correct...the pocket cover would have a 45ish degree cut at both ends...these cuts should leave the pocket cover with the bevels longer or 'open' so it doesn't fall through...counter sink a hole for a screw at the top and the bottom...
....jade

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

I did entries how I cut new window pockets & doors a few years back. https://thehistoricdistrict.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=324&start=10 Unfortunately photobucket has blocked my photos. I'll dig them up in my files and reformat them to show here on another entry....

Vala

Post by Vala »

Jamie wrote:I did entries how I cut new window pockets & doors a few years back. https://thehistoricdistrict.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=324&start=10 Unfortunately photobucket has blocked my photos. I'll dig them up in my files and reformat them to show here on another entry....

I really hate photobucket for that stunt... of course I've always hated photobucket to begin with.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Vala wrote:
Jamie wrote:I did entries how I cut new window pockets & doors a few years back. https://thehistoricdistrict.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=324&start=10 Unfortunately photobucket has blocked my photos. I'll dig them up in my files and reformat them to show here on another entry....

I really hate photobucket for that stunt... of course I've always hated photobucket to begin with.

Same here. :doh: The utter lack of warning beforehand was my biggest headache last year.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Vala wrote:[

I almost banned external linking of images for this reason (the links end up broken in one way or another) when I set the site up. I decided not to as WG had that capability and I did not want less functionality than the old place. I strongly encourage everybody to post pictures directly to this site. either in the gallery or, preferred, as an attachment to posts
Mick...

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

Finally got to work and reformatted my pictures so they will show for this reworking of an old post. I use Google Images now to save and edit my photos since my old Kodak programme no longer works with Windows 10. Photobucket is no longer needed to host photos. Google photos can be used for 3rd party hosting using this link: https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/

I noticed how there was “white dust” appearing on the window sashes. It turned out the core of this cheap rope was breaking down. I researched replacement cord online and found a supplier for Samson sash cord made in the USA that has been a standard for 100 years.

These windows had no access pockets. The replacement job years ago necessitated removal of the outside window casings. Over time I’ve developed my own process of making my own pockets. Here is a fairly straightforward description how I accomplish this task.

In the channel of the parting bead a top and bottom hole are drilled at a 45° angle.

A sabre saw is used to cut across the top and bottom at this 45° angle.

The two holes are now joined with a regular 90° cut that runs along the edge of where the parting bead will set.

Using clamps, a thin section of a paint stick is glued across the bottom cut to form a pocket for the “door” to fit into.
A thin piece of paint stick/wood is glued to the top of this door to compensate for the wood removal from the saw.

This extra wood is sanded down to where this door will fit flush. A countersunk wood screw holds this all in tight.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

nice work Jamie!!

Vala

Post by Vala »

Jamie wrote:Finally got to work and reformatted my pictures so they will show for this reworking of an old post.

Thank you very much for posting! Much appreciated!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Jamie wrote:Finally got to work and reformatted my pictures so they will show for this reworking of an old post. I use Google Images now to save and edit my photos since my old Kodak programme no longer works with Windows 10. Photobucket is no longer needed to host photos. Google photos can be used for 3rd party hosting using this link: https://ctrlq.org/google/photos/

https://www.imore.com/google-photos-may ... sonal-cost

I think using these services is ok IF you really do understand all the terms and conditions of the agreement you are making with them. To me it is way too complex for me to really understand thoroughly. Do others really understand the implications of sharing your metadata and having them scan your photos all your EMAIL and collect data? maybe it's fear of the unknown but I don't put a lot of trust into these company policies. even if you understand it is there a clause that they can change the terms after they collect data on you for years?

I know I know... I will now put my tin foil hat on and go back into my lead lined closet and hope the people in my head will settle down and stop yelling ;-)

Vala

Post by Vala »

Almost all those services stink. They almost all disable hotlinking even though that's the best way to post images. Who wants to click a thumbnail to load another website and see ads everywhere?! I never liked photobucket from the start since it required having an account you coudln't just upload randomly like the old imageshack or like imgur. Maybe some people like the account thing but I didn't.