Windows without weight pockets - cutting pockets?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: Windows without weight pockets - cutting pockets?

Post by Casey »

When the windows were originally built, they compensated for the saw kerfs by bringing the top cut flush and securing with a countersunk screw. The bottom was then pushed out until tight, secured with cut nails just through the point, and then a plane was used to make the outside flush again.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

My windows have access panels. However, in the very first window I restored, the top of the access panel was cut BELOW the top of the sash weight. The weights are thin and wide, so there was no way to get them out through the panel, and I couldn't get to the pulley on top of the weight, either. I had to take off the interior trim to access the weights so I could see how everything worked inside. It's the only one I've found so far that is cut like that. The rest of them have been accessible. I assume that all the windows are the same brand and built at the same time, so go figure. I still have 5 to pull, so I might find more that way. At least I've figured out how to get the chains out to clean them without a hassle getting them back in.
Bonnie

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

sometimes, if the rope is attached to the weight, you can raise the weight and angle it out at the bottom...I have the bloody fingers to prove it...the largest weight I ever had to tangle with was 36 inches tall and weighed 40 pounds...the opening was about 20 inches...chain had broken so I had to inch the weight up with my fingers...think I got it on the 50 try...as an aside, cursing did help...
good luck!

awomanwithahammer

Oh, I've done plenty of cursing! Especially when I've just ALMOST got the chain fed back in and the cord I'm using decides to slip off the pulley, or break or something like that. I've bloodied my hands a few times, too!

I can't even imagine wrestling with a weight that big! How big was the blasted window?!
Bonnie

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

the sash were just as wide at my arm stretch and the top sash was almost 80 pounds...removed the sash on my own somehow, got them out of the building then needed a hand loading them into my truck...that was in my younger, but not so young (50) days....
we somehow manage to do what we need to do...
....jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jade, we’re those sashes the curved ones you mentioned a long while back?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

no gothic, these were not curved but they were round tops...

http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image ... 4a8fdf7e04

awomanwithahammer

heartwood wrote:the sash were just as wide at my arm stretch and the top sash was almost 80 pounds...removed the sash on my own somehow, got them out of the building then needed a hand loading them into my truck...that was in my younger, but not so young (50) days....
we somehow manage to do what we need to do...
....jade

Wow! I do know what you mean about doing what we need to do. If there's a will, there's a way! Sometimes I think that being an amateur helps, because I don't always know the "correct" or traditional way of doing things, so I am able to think outside the box. I've come up with several unconventional methods that work equally well and allow me to do stuff by myself. Hacks, if you will.
Bonnie

Jamie
Settling in

Post by Jamie »

Dropping by to add to this old thread. Once again cutting in sash access doors into my window frames to replace sash cords. One lower sash was heavier than all the others. The original 7 pound sash weights would not hold the sash in place. I did not want to hunt all over "Hell's half acre" trying to track down heavier weights. Instead took the easy way out and installed a "window side lock" which is readily avaiable online.

I did alter this device a little bit. I roughed up the base that presses against the window frame and glued a piece of rubber from an old inner tube to this surface using JB Weld. This rubber gives a lot better grip over the smooth metal against the smooth finished wood.

I'm replacing sash cord installed in 2006. I made the mistake using "off the shelf" sash cord from a big box store. This stuff is worthless as the core will not hold up. Samson cord with the nylon core is the bomb....

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jamie, that is a perfectly good solution to fix the sash in place. It doesn’t look out of place either for the period of your home.