Bath Window Suggestions

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
accolay
Settling in

Bath Window Suggestions

Post by accolay »

I have a window in my small bathroom that made sense when a bath only tub was there in 1925, but doesn't now that there is a shower. What have others done here, short of replacing with a glass block window? My mother uses an extra shower rod and curtain on the window side.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Bath Window Suggestions

Post by Manalto »

"Shower Window Suggestions"

Does the window have clear glass? Is privacy an issue? Do you want the window to be period-correct for 1925? If so, you may want to consider replacing the clear glass with Florentine or some other textured glass, and paint the woodwork with marine or other water-resistant paint.

I think it still makes sense. One benefit of the window in that position is that it will allow the moist air to quickly escape. It's pleasant in the good weather to have the window open when taking a shower. Also, mildew is unlikely.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

I would wonder what condition the window is in currently. Photos would be great! Do you currently have a claw foot tub?

I have one of each variety - one bathroom window that we removed as it was in bad shape. We did end up replacing with glass block and we really like it. But there was very little left in that bathroom that was original so we didn't feel we needed to go to a restoration level of remodel.

Downstairs we had the glass replaced with a textured glass and that works great too. Allows the light in but we don't need to worry about curtains or anything like that.

I've lived in houses where peel and stick decals have been placed on glass in this situation. I've seen nice vintage-looking decals for this use but not sure how they stay over time in high humidity.

Or if you have a claw foot tub I've lived in houses with a curtain the entire way around the tub. But you lose all the benefits of the window in this case - you never see it or the light that it brings into the room.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Manalto wrote:"Shower Window Suggestions"

Does the window have clear glass? Is privacy an issue? Do you want the window to be period-correct for 1925? If so, you may want to consider replacing the clear glass with Florentine or some other textured glass, and paint the woodwork with marine or other water-resistant paint.

I think it still makes sense. One benefit of the window in that position is that it will allow the moist air to quickly escape. It's pleasant in the good weather to have the window open when taking a shower. Also, mildew is unlikely.

I like the idea of Florentine glass. Depending on the size of the window and your proximity to NJ (you don't have a location listed with your avatar), I might even have something you can use.

My bathroom was the same--tub only with a full window on the wall above. Initially I was thinking about Florentine glass, but ultimately I opted to strip and stain the chestnut to highlight the woodwork. My walls are also plaster and there's no tile anywhere in the room. My new setup will keep the tub, plaster, and window, but I'm adding a shower. I'm actually custom fabricating a D-shaped shower curtain ring that will have two flanges that attach to the wall and one to the ceiling on the opposite side of the ring. Im going to use one of those shear curtains with a solid bottom for privacy (similar to the attached photo). Then when the shower is not in use, I can pull back the curtain and still showcase the full window and trim. Yet when in use, the light still comes through the sheer. Presto: light when you're showering, light when you're not. Maybe you can consider something similar? :eusa-think:
Attachments
sheer curtain.jpg
sheer curtain.jpg (226.46 KiB) Viewed 917 times
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

I have a small window in mine, from back when it was just a tub also. Nothing else, just tub. It is an aluminum awning style jalousie replacement, probably in the 60's, and nobody makes that size anymore. It still works, so I kept it. I just tell daughters to crack it open for their 24 hour showers.

Wife installed a nice curtain, sheer on top, which allows a lot of light, being sunny side of house. It is very similar to MJ's pic above.

Would also like to see a picture of your window.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I once lived in a '50s rancher that had a full size window in the shower. There was always a shower there since the house was new. All I did was put a shower curtain in the interior and it gave privacy as well as kept water from hitting the window.

When changing openings in a house, one has to consider the impact to the exterior of the house as well as the interior. My vote would be to keep the window frame the same and either have a shower curtain inside or consider installing the Florentine glass some of the others have suggested. If you have to have a smaller opening, I would consider a salvaged stained glass window or something similar that won't look inappropriate from outside.

accolay
Settling in

Post by accolay »

I don't want to change the size of the window, and I'd rather not put in a smaller window there. It's a hassle enough that I need to fix the framing.There is something clear and textured in place now, but I can't remember if it's glass or plastic. I like the light, so if a curtain is used, then probably a clear curtain and textured glass. It would be cool if I could find or have a rod fabricated that would circle this tub, not unlike the hardware used with clawfoot tubs.

The window will require complete refurbishment- I don't think they used an extra shower rod and curtain on that side judging from the water damage. It was painted, then stripped at one time and left to grow a bit of mold from the prior owner.

I was thinking about sanding it down and using stain and marine polyurethane on the wood to match other windows in the house better. This window is on the North side of the house facing the neighbors house. There is only about three feet of property on that side.

Pictures tomorrow

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

accolay wrote:It would be cool if I could find or have a rod fabricated that would circle this tub, not unlike the hardware used with clawfoot tubs.
I don't know your budget, but you can both find salvages of these, or buy new modern made in a wide variety of styles and attachments to walls/ceilings. Even places like Overstock have them.

Words of advice from one who splurged the last time we bought an all natural full tub surround width curtain: It may seem to make more sense to only have one place where the "part" of the curtain is, but when you need to be able to easily reach the window to open and close it because the bathroom has no fan (and you're often closing it after you're dressed and the curtain is still wet) and knobs or nooks and such that the curtain will block, you'll think again that maybe getting two panels would have been wiser.

It all depends on your set up, and how much control you want over when the curtain is where (what it covers or not). Part of why we chose the super wide one panel was it was a freestanding clawfoot with poorly sealed beadboard not too far from the wet end, as well as a modern chipboard veneered sink cabinet less than 6" away.

accolay wrote:Pictures tomorrow
:popcorn:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Or three panels. That way there can be a split where you open the window (with curtain remaining in place forward to the faucet), a panel that wraps around the end of the the tub, and another split where you step out after your shower (with curtain once again remaining in place forward to the faucet). Making a custom shower curtain ain't rocket surgery - they're just polyester or nylon panels with buttonholes across the top.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Manalto wrote:Or three panels. That way there can be a split where you open the window (with curtain remaining in place forward to the faucet), a panel that wraps around the end of the the tub, and another split where you step out after your shower (with curtain once again remaining in place forward to the faucet). Making a custom shower curtain ain't rocket surgery - they're just polyester or nylon panels with buttonholes across the top.
I had thought to customize ours, but since I knew we were house hunting, I figured with my luck the set up would be different enough the changes I made would be all in the wrongs spots because Mr. Murphy likes to visit me way too often. :lol:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.