Where to get sash 1.5" 5lb sash weights?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Where to get sash 1.5" 5lb sash weights?

Post by GibsonGM »

Those are all good ideas for sure :) You CAN get repro's, tho, for about $9 each. I was more wondering if any particular company was more reputable than any other, based on ppl here's experience....these are for a customer who will see them, and I think he'd feel better if they looked similar to what's already there (not all windows had the weights tossed...). If it were for my own house, I'd make something, yup...

Vala

Post by Vala »

Yea thats got me curious, while I have all the window weights still in the weight pockets in the walls and I have collected a large amount of salvaged weights, are there actually any companies that manufacture replacement sash weights that are made the traditional way or have they all gone to those stackable ones?

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Killians' has some square ones that look 'vintage'....and there are some sources here: http://saveamericaswindows.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11

Net search reveals a FEW companies making ones that look SIMILAR to the old, but not cast iron (lead....).

I just wondered if anyone was better than another....

Vala

Post by Vala »

Strange.. they make repro of about everything else. I'm glad we have our original weights + many salvaged ones just incase I open up a compartment and find missing weights.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I wouldn't worry about what they look like. You'll never see them once you are done anyway. Sure waterpipe filled with lead shot or fishing weights would be fine.

or just big bolts, even. you could buy some 10" or 12"x 1.5" diameter bolts and cut the heads off.

I like Spaenaur, they have a good catalogue. or Acklands or fastenal. In the US the array of companies might be different, but just look for a local fastener retailer.
Personally I'm cheap so I'd just use what you find around. a stack of big nuts with a long thin bolt through the holes would work and you can just add more big nuts or washers to get the weight you want. If you have an auto wrecker, have a look around the yard, find some axle shafts or something.. you can pretty much just dumptser dive for this sort of stuff ;-)

Jack Cadwell
Just Arrived

Post by Jack Cadwell »

GibsonGM wrote:Hi!

I think I could get by using lead replacements I've seen out there, just wanted to see if anyone out there has ordered any from a supplier and had a good experience.

I have bought weights from The Architectural Resource Center, in New Hampshire. (800-370-8808) The last project I did required round lead weights. They were shipped in flat rate boxes, so shipping was cheap. The quality was great. The owner, Bob Markerian, is great to work with. I have known him for years. They also supplied custom sized pulleys, chain, S hooks, and springs to attach the chain to the sash.

http://brasswindowhardware.com/window-weights/

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Thanks Jack! That is what I was looking for - some firsthand experience with a company. I'll give them a call.
I did come across their web page in my search, too....it would've been between them and 1 other (SRS hardware).

These are the 'humble type', will be sash cord and simple....sounds like they are the ones to talk to.

Appreciate your reply, Jack.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

I have a milk crate full of iron torpedo window weights @ 1-1/2" dia. ranging in lengths of 9" to 13". I don't know the weight of any given length. Most have surface rust from sitting outside for 5 yrs.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

I think I'll just get new, Olson, but thanks! I was just curious if anyone had used a supplier of repro's and had a good experience. This is for pay, not my house...