Where to get sash 1.5" 5lb sash weights?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Where to get sash 1.5" 5lb sash weights?

Post by GibsonGM »

Hi!

For my next parts hunting expedition...I need to come up with a bunch of 5lb. round sash weights. Like, 16 of them. My home owner's brother threw them in the lake 60 years ago :clap: Since I'm re-glazing, he's interested in having them work with the 'stick trick', if possible.

They are 1 1/2" in diameter, round...the replacement cast irons that I've seen online are 1.75" (Killian's etc), for the most part, and I do not think they'll work.

I think I could get by using lead replacements I've seen out there, just wanted to see if anyone out there has ordered any from a supplier and had a good experience.

Gothichome

Re: Where to get sash 1.5" 5lb sash weights?

Post by Gothichome »

Can you swim Gibson? :lol: can’t really help with a source but I can offer a make do alternative.
Using a larger bolt place a large washer on the bottom, place a piece of piping over the bolt and fill with lead shot. Weld another washer to the thread end of the bolt to attach your sash cord to. You will probably have to experiment for size, amount of shot ect,but once you have the formula figured you set to go int mass production.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Why would they have thrown them out 60 years ago? I presume the original windows were kept? That's just moronic..

Vala

Post by Vala »

Also are you referring to the cylindrical sash weights commonly found in old homes or is this something different? Those "Stackable weights" sold online on restoration shops these days is (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) a modern invention. Back in the day they sold different weights in every number, like 5,6,7 etc...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

you can wrap lead around a piece of coat hanger...bend the hanger so the lead can't fall off at the bottom and bend a circle at the top to attach to rope...it's important that it hangs level otherwise it will hit the other weight or the inside of the weight pocket...
....jade

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Great ideas! Yes, the brother tossed them into the lake years back, presumably the last time they were out for glazing. Way out, apparently. I'm assuming he was like 10 yrs old. The owner was able to re-purchase this place, many years after his family had sold it, and is having it restored now. Nice story, a place coming back to the family that HE can pass down now.

I may just take a crap shoot, buy 1 set of lead weights online and try them...I've seen one place that has the 1 1/2" dia. ones, full length. I don't trust that 1.75" will fit without binding, so options are limited. Yes, I know what the original ones are (some are still there)...cast iron, and have the "5" on the end. At least no guessing on the weight needed!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

i would look for some 1.5" bar stock. You can get it from a metal retailer, here we have the "metal supermarkets" you probably have a place that is comparable. If you want ot save money try goint to a scrap yard, many will sell the metal at a price per pound and you can look for somethign of the right diameter.
to attach the bolt I would drill a hole and thread bar it to take a eye bolt, cut the bar off a bit long and weigh it , or cut an inch off and weight that then you can calculate the length you need (half of the sash weight)

there is stuff like large re-bar you could use, but make sure it's not too hard to drill and tap, some re-bar is tempered.
metal bar stock will come in a variety of qualities, Just buy what is cheapest.

this isn't' the cheapest place you can find but they will cut you what you want and not sell you more.. but the scrap yards where they buy used scrap iron will be a lot cheaper if you are up for the hunt for the right bits. If it were square bar stock that is 1.5" x 1.5" maybe that would work too.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/store-finder/

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Pretty good DIY there, Phil! You always have interesting fixes.

I have to buy them; time = money. You can get them for $10 each, or so. I'm sure he doesn't want to have to pay me for machine shop services! Tho I could do so...got a drill press and flux core welder in the barn.... :)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

https://www.onlinemetals.com/calculator.cfm
using this calculator it comes to 10" length for 5 lbs. assuming steel round bar stock. so using 1.5" steel bar it works out to 2" for each pound needed.

you could cut your lengths off with a hacksaw, or maybe an angle grinder with a zip disc if you have one.

you need an electric drill and a bit to drill a hole, If you go to the hardware store you could pick up a 1/4" tap to thread the hole. the drill for a 1/4" National coarse thread eye bold is a #7 drill. the size is 13/64.

there is a handy chart here that gives the drill bit size for your initial hole. in this case you drill a 13/64 hole in order to thread it to 1/4" NC.
If the hole is a little larger it wont' hurt it'll just be easier to run the tap in.

http://www.lincolnmachine.com/tap_drill_chart.html

you will also need a 1/4"NC tap to thread your hole and really one would normally have a holder for the tap, but if you dont' own one just use vice grips or a crescent wrench to hold your tap and work it in and out a little as you go. It'll work.

the cost of the drill bit and tap will be negligible and I bet you have a hacksaw and a drill already.

you could just weld an eyelet on instead of tapping a hole or even just drill through the rod and tie it to the rope, if that isn't in the way.

you could instead simply drill a small hole across the rod near one end and loop a bit of coat-hanger type wire around the end so you had something to tie the rope to. no tapping needed this way..

If your hole is off center a little and it hangs funny you can probably just bend the eye bolt to correct any error in finding the exact center and getting your hole square.. it'll be a bit forgiving if you can leave an inch or two between the eyelet and the end of your rod stock.

the drill press might help in drilling the holes but you can also just use a hand drill.

sure if you can just pick them up from an old house wrecking yard then that might be even easier.. depends on availability/ price.. you might not want to ship them or wait for them.

If you have a stick welder ( that uses welding rods) the other quick and dirty way is to start welding onto the end of the rod stock and intentionally stick your electrode to the metal rod stock , then when cool, bend the welding rod to a hook shape to tie your rope to.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I was thinking iron pipe filled with lead shot, not sure if it comes int he size you want, but if it does you might be able to pick it up pretty easy
Mick...