Advice on Matching Molding

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
historicalwork
Been here a good while

Advice on Matching Molding

Post by historicalwork »

So, as part of my never ending bedroom project, I need to think about some areas where molding needs replacing. I have some areas where I need to replace the base molding and one spot above a door where I need to replace to top cap. I started looking around to match the molding and ran into the same thing I'm sure everyone else runs into - I can't find the same profile available. I see the options are find a close match or find a place to cut a template of the profile. I only need to replace about 10 feet on the base and the top of one door. So, I suspect trying to get anything custom cut would not be worth it. If time permits, I'm going to check at one of the large reclaimed places where I've found floor boards before. But I figured I'd ask about this in case someone found out getting a small quantity custom cut isn't that much or maybe there is a place with a larger selection of profiles I haven't found yet searching. Below are pics of the two moldings I'm trying to replace.

Greenwood
Knows the area

Re: Advice on Matching Molding

Post by Greenwood »

Have you got any millwork shops in your area? It may be worth it to trace the profile and take it in, on the off-chance they have a blade or profile for that already, or maybe it's easy enough to make up.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Post an ad on your local Craigslist, but also look at CL in your vicinity and check ReStore type places.

I had attempted to get a small amount of trim milled (I needed about 90 linear feet) but got the run around and brush off from the local mill who assured me they could do it. I think the quantity was too small for them to bother with. I would check there - but they might have say, a 300 foot minimum even if you only need 10 feet.

I searched CL, Kijiji, ReStores, etc. but apparently my trim profile is uncommon as I have never come across it. I finally bought a lot of salvaged trim from a local seller. It was .75" wider than my trim, but was easily trimmed down. My kitchen now has a different type of moulding around one door and three different types of rosettes (the PO had hacked into the moulding to install some crapola MDF cabinets). Since the replacement trim and rosettes mimic what is here, the difference is not glaringly obvious with the finished paint. The width and depth of the moulding is correct.

Also - if you find some trim that matches what you need, but it is in rough shape with peeling paint, etc. don't over look that or write it off. The peeling paint can get stripped off, holes and dings can be patched. The trim I bought was pretty grungey from being stored in a shed for who knows how long, and had flaky paint, holes, etc. It looked surprisingly good once it was cleaned, patched and primed.

Here is a pic from my kitchen that shows the two different types of trim on two facing walls. I don't think most people would spot the difference.

Existing trim:

_DSC0010.jpg
_DSC0010.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 670 times

Replacement trim:

_DSC0018.jpg
_DSC0018.jpg (255.38 KiB) Viewed 670 times

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Both that crown and cap look like common types used during the first three decades of the 20th Century. A millwork shop should have knives in those profiles already or something extremely close.

AlsatianND
Just Arrived

Post by AlsatianND »

If it's a small linear run, it's not too expensive to ship. Here are some extensive molding catalogs. Contact them about shipping. You're right that the small run means paying for a knife makes less sense, but if its' the only way to do it right still not a bad way to go.

Bosely Moulding (Baltimore)
Starke Millwork (Allentown)
J.P. Moriarty (Boston)
Mad River Woodworks (middle of nowhere California)

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

A quick thanks for the feedback and for the online leads. I went up to a reclaim / recycle place in Baltimore (Second Chance) which I was hoping might have some selection of old molding - but they had next to nothing. As as side note, I also went up because I was hoping to find some scrap pieces of heartwood pine floor to patch where someone in the past cut out flooring to install baseboard hot water heating. In the mean time, one guy I met suggested a place in Baltimore that is a small millwork shop and the day before someone mention a similar place in another area. As suggested in the feedback here, I think finding a millwork shop with existing profiles or considering having a knife made might be the right (maybe only) approach. I visited a couple lumber places that were supposed to have a selection of molding and that was a waste of time. I'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

1918ColonialRevival

historicalwork wrote:A quick thanks for the feedback and for the online leads. I went up to a reclaim / recycle place in Baltimore (Second Chance) which I was hoping might have some selection of old molding - but they had next to nothing. As as side note, I also went up because I was hoping to find some scrap pieces of heartwood pine floor to patch where someone in the past cut out flooring to install baseboard hot water heating. In the mean time, one guy I met suggested a place in Baltimore that is a small millwork shop and the day before someone mention a similar place in another area. As suggested in the feedback here, I think finding a millwork shop with existing profiles or considering having a knife made might be the right (maybe only) approach. I visited a couple lumber places that were supposed to have a selection of molding and that was a waste of time. I'll keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

If you're close to Baltimore, check out R.T. Frock:

http://rtfrock.com/

They reproduce many common types of old molding. Yours isn't a rare type, so they should have the knives already.

Regarding Second Chance - they've gone downhill in my opinion over the last several years. There used to be a good selection and good prices there. Now, it's overpriced and they don't have near as much of the older stuff as they once did. A lot of their molding they have right now came from several McMansions that were de-constructed in the DC area.

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

1918ColonialRevival - I'll check them out - appreciate the link. I happened to stop by housewerks because it looked cool and I think the guy there (who was very nice) gave me that same name for millwork. Agreed - I went up to second chance a few years ago and thought there was more in the way of loose flooring, etc. This time I grabbed some stupid bundle of flooring to get one or two planks and paid too much for it. They otherwise had no heartwood pine. I guess it is hit and miss and changes all the time. But just thought there might be more. Still an interesting place but not sure I'll make the trip over there again. Oddly, they had these $5 bundles of old lath - I don't think I needed it but got one anyway in case I have future repairs and somehow feel better using old lath versus something new. I also went over to the loading dock and that was a waste of time. Although it seemed like that loading dock had some nice old reclaimed boards (4x4s, 6x6s) outside for a somewhat decent price (thinking of a repair on our barn). But the place is otherwise generally useless. Thought about trying community forklift closer to DC - can't remember if I tried them last time. Thanks again.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Its close to this:
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

1918ColonialRevival

historicalwork wrote:1918ColonialRevival - I'll check them out - appreciate the link. I happened to stop by housewerks because it looked cool and I think the guy there (who was very nice) gave me that same name for millwork. Agreed - I went up to second chance a few years ago and thought there was more in the way of loose flooring, etc. This time I grabbed some stupid bundle of flooring to get one or two planks and paid too much for it. They otherwise had no heartwood pine. I guess it is hit and miss and changes all the time. But just thought there might be more. Still an interesting place but not sure I'll make the trip over there again. Oddly, they had these $5 bundles of old lath - I don't think I needed it but got one anyway in case I have future repairs and somehow feel better using old lath versus something new. I also went over to the loading dock and that was a waste of time. Although it seemed like that loading dock had some nice old reclaimed boards (4x4s, 6x6s) outside for a somewhat decent price (thinking of a repair on our barn). But the place is otherwise generally useless. Thought about trying community forklift closer to DC - can't remember if I tried them last time. Thanks again.

Community Forklift was actually a cool place about 8 or so years ago. Prices for old stuff was really good and there used to be quite a bit of it. Then, they got someone on staff there who I'll refer to as "The Curator". This person jacked the prices of all of their old stuff through the roof. Now, it seems they almost exclusively deal in junk and deconstructed McMansion parts. The last time I walked through there was about a year or so ago. Almost all of their old stuff was corralled to one area and the rest of the warehouse was overpriced crap. The old salvage is so overpriced most of it has been in there since about 2012.

The Loading Dock is hit or miss. I once saw a really nice '20s vitreous china kitchen sink there for $100. I didn't need it, but someone was hopefully able to use it. I've found a couple of nice things for my house in there, but I've also gone through there many times and come up with nothing.

Housewerks is a cool place, but they tend to focus more on industrial relics versus residential. I remember one time they got a couple of '30s/'40s era autopsy tables in there from an old state hospital.