Cabinet install on plaster/brick

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Cabinet install on plaster/brick

Post by awomanwithahammer »

What's the best way to install upper cabinets on plaster over brick walls? Nearly all my cabinets will be on exterior walls, and there are no studs in them.

I've built the cabinets with reinforced hanging strips (for lack of a better term) so that I have something to screw through besides the thin backs. But I don't know if I should use Tapcons or something else.

Any advice?
Bonnie

Gothichome

Re: Cabinet install on plaster/brick

Post by Gothichome »

I see know reason not to use tapcons. If your brick is soft brick use longer. Hopefully your reinforcement boards are wide enough to allow for positioning of the fasteners, not sure but I would think your lime mortar might be too soft to get a good bite on the fasteners.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I would try going to HILTI and asking, they have fasteners with epoxy. it's like two glass tubes. you drill a hole then drop in the two tubes and as you drive the fastener they smash the glass and mix the epooxy, or you could just use bolts and epoxy. or you could drill right through and put fender washers and nuts on the outside. anyway they are the experts for floor anchors etc. there are other systems.

you never want your upper cabinets to fall and the dishes can get pretty heavy so plan for he worst. you can probably put like a 1x4 or somethign horizontally and cut notches in the cabinet backs so the fit over the plank as well.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

I dont have your exact problem - since I ended up installing most of my cabinets on interior walls. I do have one exterior wall and for that, the upper was treated more like a hutch top cabinet piece - with most of the weight of it resting on the counter top vs. hanging from the wall. It sits on its side pieces so that there is useable counter spaceunderneath.

Not sure how long of a span you could have supported only by the sides. I tend to over engineer things so Id probably do both - have it supported from below AND attach to wall (to keep it from tipping forward as well as to support some weight.) Not crazy about the newish white cabs pictured below (they arent mine) but Im including it to show how they got extra support from the cabinets stacked directly on countertop.
Attachments
white cab.jpg
white cab.jpg (6.21 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

awomanwithahammer

Thanks for the advice, y'all. I got an idea from a friend's husband that I think I am going to try. Tapcons are unsightly, so I really didn't want them showing. He suggested routing out a horizontal channel in the plaster down to the brick, even with the reinforcing strips in the cabinet. Then I'd screw a wood strip in the channel using tapcons, flush with the surface. Then I can install the cabinets with regular cabinet screws through the reinforcing strip and into the wood in the wall. I don't know if that makes complete sense, but I can see it working.

This picture shows the reinforcing strips above the bottom shelf and below the middle shelf.

Will update after I try it. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Bonnie

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

I'd just use lead wall anchors and regular screws. Putting the wooden strip in the wall is ingenious, but it'll be a ton of work. I guess it depends on the condition of your walls and the job in general. It would make fine tuning each cabinet MUCH easier so it's got that going for it.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

couple of thoughts. If you were to lean a sheet of plywood against the wall the cabinets could bear down on that, they would still need to be attached to the wall or they would tip forward but it could support most of the weight and take that load off the brickwork.

I would cut the cabinet so the cleat across the back was actually notched in to the cabinet if that one isn't I cant really see. use a nice board as you can see it inside the cabinet but then if it is notched in it is supporting the case of the cabinet.

a french cleat might come in handy.. like this
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... m6GGGL1orQ

that way you can just hook the cabinet up there, rather than trying to hold the cabinet in position while it is screwed in place. you can also use a lot of fasteners along the part that attaches to the wall to spread out the load between them.

On mine I extended the uppers and the countertop both by 4" and that gave more counter-space and deep uppers. I really like it like it like that. It made it so the sink isn't too tight and there is room to wipe behind it easily.

awomanwithahammer

So I got one cabinet installed today, a single one. This is the channel I routed out.
Then the installed cleat. I ripped some leftover oak flooring and set it almost flush with the surface of the plaster. I'm OK with it standing slightly proud because the plaster has a bit of unevenness. I also countersank the tapcons.
After a couple of false starts, the installed cabinet.

I've started the process for another cabinet and it went much faster. Then it started snowing here so I decided it was time to head home. I'm almost ready to hang a bigger one.

Yes, Jeep, it's a lot of trouble; a royal PITA, as a matter of fact. But worth it for the peace of mind. Phil, cleat--that's the word I was looking for! I didn't notch the cleat into the sides of the cabinets. I didn't think about doing that, but I did use pocket hole screws to fasten it not only to the sides, but also the shelf in several places. I feel certain it's secure. Also, I'll be installing a 3/8" backsplash tile under all the uppers, so it can also help carry the weight.

Kashka-Kat, that's a nice look, and if I'd thought of it earlier, I might have tried that.

I thank you all for your suggestions and help. This was a real head scratcher for me.
Bonnie

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

A "french cleat" is what your looking for...

awomanwithahammer

mjt wrote:A "french cleat" is what your looking for...

Yes, that! :crazy:
Bonnie