100% wood windows Who makes them?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

100% wood windows Who makes them?

Post by Wackyshack »

The window in the kitchen just broke. I now have 3 crappy vinyl windows the house flipper put in fail.

I have not had great success going to the big box stores. The huge picture windows I replaced in my back room I had told the guy I wanted wood. The windows were custom ordered and not returnable. They were aluminium clad on the outside and vinyl on the inside with wood pieces. Pretty disgusting and I spent over 2 grand for them.

The carpenter replaced windows in the back of the house and the interior was 100% wood. The outside again was clad with aluminium.

But I digress.

I do not want to end up with clad windows, unless they have been deemed to be superior to just getting a wood one inside and out.

I am having a hard time finding a company that makes just plain wood.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Gothichome

Re: 100% wood windows Who makes them?

Post by Gothichome »

Vala can give you the in’s and out’s of these folks. She had some made and shipped.
I believe she was happy with thier windows.
http://www.hoffmeyersmill.com/web/hoffmeyers.htm
I plan to have them make new storms for our home in the summer.

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Gothichome, thanks... My mother is pushing Andersen, I did look at Jen-Weld.

These which I am looking for are for the kitchen, as they are just going to be plain.

For 2 of the windows I need done which are going to have custom stained glass by
Stainedglasswindows.com.. they have a window company make the window then they glaze it.
They were the people who made the stained panels for my front and back doors and I was happy with them. Of course that will depend on the end sticker price. If it ends up that I have champagne tastes on a beer budget, we will scale back.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hi there wacky...
unfortunately ALL of the most well known manufacturers make less than stellar windows...marvin, pella, Anderson, Kolbe, jeld-wen...even if they are all wood, the wood is from 'forced grown' pine and quite often it's finger jointed...

I remember being at a trade show and pella claiming "you will never see finger jointed wood in our windows"...so we took a few photos of the finger jointed wood on their windows--the one they had on display...once the window is installed, the homeowner cannot see the finger jointed wood, what a sham!

a well made quality window is an investment for the long term...that said, we don't all have the financial fortitude to afford custom windows...if you can afford one or two made by a small outfit or one like hoffmeyers or http://www.jpmoriarty.com/ (boston) that would be your best bet...finding a good carpenter is important too...most have become 'installers' rather than builders...

good luck!
...jade

Vala

Post by Vala »

Yea I'll vouch for Hoffmeyer's their work is top notch and 100% traditional and true to the originals. I'm very happy with my windows from them. I give them high marks.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

We bought our board and battens from Hoffmeyer's Mill, and when we went there we saw some of their current projects- windows, doors, etc. They do beautiful work. We talked with the owner at length (Reg), and he's a great guy who knows his stuff. We are really happy with the milled wood we got from them for our garage, and when it comes time to buy storms for our house, we will be buying them from Hoffmeyer's. I will say that it is better to call them instead of emailing- sometimes it takes them a while to respond to emails (they are "old school", hehe).

Another company who work in old wood windows around here is Paradigm Shift, but I've had a bad experience with them so I wouldn't recommend them. We tried to get a quote on our windows from them when we moved in, scheduled a date/time, and they never showed up. I contacted them to see what happened, they said it was a scheduling issue (don't know why I was never contacted in that case?!), and we reschedule another date/time. They STILL never show up. No calls, nothing.
That was two years ago, and after that I wrote them off. I hate chasing contactors, trying to get them to take my money. Nope.
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Wackyshack - your USD is also at an advantage when purchasing from Canada (ie Hoffmeyer's). Expect to pay shipping and duty charges when it crosses the border to you.

Today one Canadian dollar is worth about $ 0.80 USD.

moiety
Just Arrived

Post by moiety »

Daniel at Manhattan Nest found decent replacement windows to match his old ones by looking at 'barn windows'. http://manhattan-nest.com/2016/07/20/ma ... c-windows/

Vala

Post by Vala »

Hoffmeyer's does wonderful period authentic work. If you want quality windows that are going to stand the test of time, go with them. And unless you have access to good wood and tools, I might recommend ordering parting beads as well.

Prices are very fair and with the exchange rate you save money.

Hoffmeyer windows.jpg
Hoffmeyer windows.jpg (270.5 KiB) Viewed 654 times

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Have you asked around locally - if all you need is sash you might find good price and would save on shipping (plus support your local economy). I know I was pleasantly surprised at cost. If you have any existing original windows they could match those. Be sure to be very specific about dimensions - my only problem is this guy took it upon himself to shrink the thickness of my windows by 1/8 inch- he said to accomodate weather stripping - without asking me. Had he asked I would have said it already accomodates weather stripping - so now my sashes on that window are too thin but whatever.

Aside from sashes and parting stop, do you have the rest of the window there- weights, pulleys etc?