100% wood windows Who makes them?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Vala

Re: 100% wood windows Who makes them?

Post by Vala »

Around where I live, there is no one competent enough to do anything like this, its mostly just people who love to use screw guns for everything. Even local mills are run by dullards who mostly just order stuff pre painted in pine out of catalogs and any custom work is either going to cost 3x what it should or they just don't seem to want your business. Not saying its like this everywhere, but unless you're in an area with a lot of mill competition its probably going to be what I described.

And Kashka has a good point, do you still have the original framing and window boxes? If not you would need them to be built as well. And you would need weights.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

What era is op's house - the Pullman sash pulley might work for the op.

Yeah I guess renovation & and new construction is booming here so we do have the craftspeople but actually we have the opposite problem - cant find anyone because theres too MUCH work for them, they dont want my piddley little door installation job

Where in SO Illinois? I visited last summer for eclipse - beautiful area :wave:

Vala

Post by Vala »

Kashka-Kat wrote:What era is op's house - the Pullman sash pulley might work for the op.

Yeah I guess renovation & and new construction is booming here so we do have the craftspeople but actually we have the opposite problem - cant find anyone because theres too MUCH work for them, they dont want my piddley little door installation job

Where in SO Illinois? I visited last summer for eclipse - beautiful area :wave:

I sent you a PM.

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

I just spoke to the guy at Hoffmeyer and he quoted $900 per window and that's with the "standard profile". Has anybody had them match their profile?

Vala

Post by Vala »

TuckerTavern wrote:I just spoke to the guy at Hoffmeyer and he quoted $900 per window and that's with the "standard profile". Has anybody had them match their profile?

How many panes, how big and what kind of wood? And are you ordering those fully glazed/painted/stained? I saved money by doing that stuff myself.

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

They are 6 over 6, approximately 42" x 70"
He didn't give me the option of choosing the wood.
That includes priming & glazing, which I didn't ask for but was included in his quote.
Our muntins are pretty thin, to make them notably wider won't look right.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

$900 for a 6 over 6 set of sash glazed and primed is an excellent price...
typically a shop like that will look for the straightest tightest grain pine...
I would think mahogany or cedar would cost more...
...jade

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Today's exchange rate says that $ 900.00 CAD = approximately $ 725.00 USD.

(Unless he was quoting you in USD).

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

That price is about double what Dave Bowers charged me 2 years ago and he matched the profile. His prices have gone up quite a bit since then though. I'm not quibbling with the $900 at all, just that I didn't think wider, unmatched muntins would look good. :)

Vala

Post by Vala »

TuckerTavern wrote:That price is about double what Dave Bowers charged me 2 years ago and he matched the profile. His prices have gone up quite a bit since then though. I'm not quibbling with the $900 at all, just that I didn't think wider, unmatched muntins would look good. :)

Yea their muntins are 7/8" or 3/4". I had a few 15 over 1 Queen Anne Sash done and I went with the 7/8" muntins since I didn't have to match anything existing, but yea historic muntins tended to be 5/8" I've noticed.