Plaster - Advice on patching where lath is missing

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Plaster - Advice on patching where lath is missing

Post by phil »

that video was not bad. there are a lot of videos on Utube where people try to instruct and don't know the trade, but as soon as they start moving you know who the pros are and this is an example of a pro who made a video, big difference.

He's slopping the stuff on with a roller.You could just use the knife for that, but note the consistency of his mud, it's pretty wet.

that guy didn't drop much mud because he's a pro. someone less experienced might need to go a little slower and use a dropsheet and expect to drop more mud until they get the knack of it. it might take someone with less experience another coat or two but pretty well anyone can make it flat if they are determined enough.

for bucket mixing, what I sometimes do is just grab a plastic bag, put the drill in it and make a hole in the corner for the bit. Bear in mind it isn't going to have good air flow so if it gets warm, give it a rest but it does help keep the mud off your drill so long as you don't go crazy and overheat the drill. don't spin too fast or you will bring air in.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Re: Plaster - Advice on patching where lath is missing

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Oh have I got period lath for you! But I guess shipping will be the damper. I have paper leaf bags full of it, best kindling ever....