LED Bulb Question

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: LED Bulb Question

Post by Manalto »

Interesting thought about SAD, Phil. I know both incandescent and LED lights can be engineered to mimic the daylight spectrum or optimized for growing plants; perhaps the spectrum, and presumably the intensity, are important factors in relieving SAD symptoms? But here I am speculating, and not adding much of anything.

Very true about the feline genius for comfort. Set up a camera so you can find out where she hides her pocket calculator.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: LED Bulb Question

Post by phil »

Manalto wrote:Interesting thought about SAD, Phil. I know both incandescent and LED lights can be engineered to mimic the daylight spectrum or optimized for growing plants; perhaps the spectrum, and presumably the intensity, are important factors in relieving SAD symptoms? But here I am speculating, and not adding much of anything.

Very true about the feline genius for comfort. Set up a camera so you can find out where she hides her pocket calculator.

Yes I am sure thare have been all sorts of studies on SAD and color temperature etc. In places they have set up chairs with intense lighting so people can relax and enjoy some artificial sunshine and some say it helps. Its possible to set up an area with more intense lighting in your home just to be able to have a break from the cabin fever.

It may be more common here as our winters are generally grey and rainy for the winter months, not a lot of freezing, but lots of darkness. since we switch the time for winter so that it gets dark sooner people dont' have much daylight after work, once they are switched back many people are happier, I think it is also because then they start spending a little time outside getting fresh air and some exercise after work, and that has a positive effect as well.

I was working for a company and we were learning to fuse fiber optics.. I was daydreaming and thinking , gee if I could put a shiny satallite dish on the roof , then I could focus all the light onto a clump of fiber, then run that down to the basement and distribute the fibers into a picture frame , which would then illuminate natural light like a window.. at first I thought I had a eureka moment but then I heard someone say they watched a TV show where they were doing just exactly that. So ill have to retire a bit later I guess.. ;-) darnit it seemed like such a great idea..