LED Bulb Question

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: LED Bulb Question

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

The only place I use LEDs is in an antique enclosed fixture under my portico, simply because I don't like taking the globe off very often to change bulbs. As Al mentioned, brightness is measured in lumens - something manufacturers have either failed to mention at all or mention in the fine print on the back. Watts=power=heat. Most LED bulbs are in the neighborhood of 5-8 watts or so - significantly lower than the 40-60 watt bulbs they are designed to replace. It won't get hot enough to damage the shade.

As long as I can get incandescent bulbs, I'm going to use them in fixtures where the bulb is visible. I mostly use the squirrelcage bulbs from Ferrowatt or Bulbrite. They look authentic and the amount of power used is negligible compared to things like air conditioners, refrigerators, electric ranges, etc. They also last much longer than the soft white incandescents. Most of the ones here have been in use about five years and I have yet to have one burn out.

StoneHouseGuy
Knows the area

Post by StoneHouseGuy »

Im no expert, but I have been changing out as many existing incandescents for LEDs over tha past year as I am able to. I have learned that the "enclosed fixture" info may not be included in the bulb description (I get mine online, no package) but the manufacturers help line has been great to help me learn if they are or are not "encloseable". try that if the bulb you want doesnt have info.

Also, the new Edison styled LEDs are looking pretty amazing. the color is good but the brightness is a little more than expected. I err on the side of too little light.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

StoneHouseGuy wrote:Also, the new Edison styled LEDs are looking pretty amazing. the color is good but the brightness is a little more than expected. I err on the side of too little light.

I have been using those in my outside lights - less issue with bugs in the summer due to the hue and lower light output. They seem to last well in frigid temps too. Not to mention that they also look very inviting on a cold night
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

traditional bulbs run a lot hotter, so I doubt you need to worry about damage to the fixture, but the LED bulb itself is made of plastic so can't stand as much heat.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

When did "changing" become "changing out" - and why?

phil

Post by phil »

I think that although the "out" can be eliminated, it is a slightly different meaning implying that the new ones were replaced all at once? crazy english language? If I ate my girlfriend I might be a cannibal ? If I changed my girlfriend then oh maybe I convinced her to stop drinking or something but if I "changed out" my girlfriend then that would allude to finding a replacement? :shifty:

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I doubt anyone who says they've changed a light bulb means that they have altered its characteristics, rather than replaced it with a new one, girlfriends notwithstanding.

I use LEDs whenever possible. The oven bulb is still an incandescent.

phil

Post by phil »

changing LED's to incandescent provides zero power savings so long as your heater is running. You just run your furnace harder to make up the missing BTU's. In summer when you use AC, that works differently , sure. and I will also accept that you may get more BTU's for the buck from gas than electric , but the point is most of these BTUs aren't really lost, it's just converted to heat energy. It's probably more feasable if you arent' heating your house If you are runing AC then the heat from the bulbs just fights the AC. I htink if you had to burn fuel to run a generator you might see savings but from what I've seen the LED bulbs aren't cheap and if you are sharp you can even pick up free incandescent bulbs as many others take the shotgun approach to replacement.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

phil wrote:changing LED's to incandescent provides zero power savings...

I think you meant "changing incandescent to LED"?

In any case, the heat generated by an incandescent ceiling fixture stays up there on the ceiling and does little to warm my toes. I'll opt for an intentional, rather than incidental, heat source when I need one.

phil

Post by phil »

true enough, they aren't always where you want the heat but as long as it is within your house it does add to the overall.
In my bathroom I have no fan, the heat from the bulbs is necessary or it would get moldy in there with LED, unless I also install a fan, and the fan wastes a lot of heat too although I would like to add one especially if I have more people using it.

I have a pantry room that is unheated I often leave the lights on in there to just keep it a little above freezing in case there are things like latex paint in there. I try to store the latex separately where it wont freeze. I don' think oil paint, lacquer and epoxy minds being frozen so I keep stuff like that in there as any off-gassing doesn't enter the house.

I think running 10 100W bulbs is pretty close to the power draw and heat output of a thousand watt baseboard heater, yes albeit it many may be up near the ceiling. still that's about 17 of the 60 watt bulbs that would be lots to leave on. I also know that a lot of people get depressed in winter ( seasonal affect disorder is common) and a lot is contributed to darkness so I tend to leave more on. If I am basicly living in 3 rooms I will leave all three on instead of turning them on and off as I pass from one room to the other, to me that adds some comfort too. The jury is out on whether incandescent are better for this (SAD) effect and you do get light from the LEDs so arguably you could leave more of them on for the buck.

one of the best heat sensors I have is my cat, she will always find the warmest and most comfortable spot in the house and it can be in the strangest of places but every time I stop and think about it it is as if she has done a complete environmental study and arrived at the warmest and most comfortable place possible. At first I though she did nothing when I'm at work ;-)