Opinion on shellac and glaze rabbetts?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Mick_VT

Re: Opinion on shellac and glaze rabbetts?

Post by Mick_VT »

I doubt you will have any issues either way Gibson, as I said before the shellac method was very tried and trusted in the UK in decades past. That Australian tech college instructional video to teach apprentices to glaze, that goes around (and is linked somewhere here) also says to use shellac. It comes from an era when all windows were glazed with linseed oil putty into wood sashes, and this is what they were teaching in tech college. BLO may be better, (who knows?) and as Jade points out may have other benefits, but either route IMO you will be fine
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I don't doubt that shellac was a good product to use on the rabbets when the wood was new...once it dries out, I think there is a big advantage to adding oil...that said, I know many restorers who skip that application...I am not aware of anyone having a wholesale failure on a project because they used shellac on dry wood...science and my gut tell me blop is the way to go for me...

....jade

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Good info, all! Surprisingly, this batch of sash that I have are in remarkably good condition. NONE of them are dry, the paint is still pretty good, and the putty was never left 'open'. The old putty comes right out with the heat gun, no fuss. The wood beneath is 'blonde' and nice.
This is actually routine maintenance over restoration!

I'm shocked, I tell ya! :) My customer is probably on this board, ha ha, actually taking care of their windows...

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

heartwood wrote:I don't doubt that shellac was a good product to use on the rabbets when the wood was new...once it dries out, I think there is a big advantage to adding oil...that said, I know many restorers who skip that application...I am not aware of anyone having a wholesale failure on a project because they used shellac on dry wood...science and my gut tell me blop is the way to go for me...

....jade

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Science, your gut, and of course a massive amount of field experience!
Mick...