Shellac alternatives for bathrooms?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Vala

Shellac alternatives for bathrooms?

Post by Vala »

Aside from poly that is.. hate the stuff.

Was reading an article on shellac that said its not good for kitchens/bathrooms due to high humidity. So what can I use instead? The wood in my bathroom was originally stained (then painted over numerous times) and well paint is off the table as I want the original stained look. Was wondering what to use, as it was originally stained I was wondering what they might have used originally.

Thanks,

Mick_VT

Re: Shellac alternatives for bathrooms?

Post by Mick_VT »

Shellac is not quite as bad as some make out in damper environs, but I used helmsman spar urethane on the wood in my bathroom. Only place I have ever used poly - I like the finish and it has held up well in the intervening years. It was rated for exterior as well as interior use.
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

How about the Waterlox stuff Mick likes. I think, as a clear finish over stain it should be tough enough to handle a bathroom environment.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:How about the Waterlox stuff Mick likes. I think, as a clear finish over stain it should be tough enough to handle a bathroom environment.

I am no fan of Waterlox - I do like Rubio Monocoat for floors though.

to answer the "what was it originally" it would have been either shellac or good old fashioned varnish. Both would likely have had a recoat quite often. My octogenarian farmer friend recalls his mother redoing all the varnish in the kitchen as an annual ritual. A lot of it still exists to this day in his house - it is thick and dark with an amazing patina
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mick, the Rubio is what I had in mind for that suggestion. Some were between the brain and the key board it turned out waterlox. :doh:

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

of course lacquer is another alternative. though it's susceptible to wet environments as well. I guess it depends how wet it's going to get.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

For damp environments like bathrooms, I'd use either Waterlox or spar varnish. Even with those, I'd expect to have to re-do it every few years.

Vala

Post by Vala »

I see, thanks for the insight everyone. Much appreciated.

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

I used repurposed beadboard in my bath. Of course we open up the door right away to share the humidity with the rest of the house and cloudy finish on the wood has not been a problem at all.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!