Sourcing wavy glass?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Sourcing wavy glass?

Post by GibsonGM »

Hi All,

I have a project I'm working on, and will need a couple of BIG panes of glass. Normally I use what I have stockpiled over the years, but I have nothing roughly 26"x26'"! You don't come across THAT size too often!

I know there are specialty companies that make repro (such as AGW and so on), which is fine, but I wonder if any of you have used any of them and would recommend them?

Thanks!

Mick_VT

Re: Sourcing wavy glass?

Post by Mick_VT »

I can't help on the companies (though last time I stumbled across a price for this stuff new on the net I nearly had a heart attack)... You might, as an alternative look for salvage places that have large storm windows stashed away
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yea, the newly manufactured wavy glass is quite expensive and, add to that the cost of shipping...
I have a number of 26x26 panes still in the sash...do you have another reason to visit western mass?
I normally charge $15 a square foot--$60 for 26x26....if you want to come and take the sash and break them
down yourself, $15 bucks will do it...
you may want to check craig's list or salvage yards...
...jade

Vala

Post by Vala »

I feel your pain. Most of my windows have either 34" x 24" or 32" x 24" panes and what I usually find for salvage is 24" x 24" or 24" x 30"... Though sometimes I find bigger but not often.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Thanks, folks! I'll probably end up paying (thru the nose, quoted $150 each from one manufacturer...)...Maine doesn't have a lot of options, ha ha. I'm sure some old coot has a few of them in the barn, but there's no way to find them!
I'll just get a couple of more quotes, pick the best. The shipping really seems to get you...almost $50. So far I need only one pane (fingers crossed)...

Thanks, Jade, that was a very nice and fair offer...if I were headed down there I'd sure swing by! That's 5, 6 hours in the old Suburban (gas!). :)

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I know there's a company in New Jersey that still makes it (name escapes me right now). It's not cheap, but if you only need a little bit, it shouldn't be too bad and worth the investment. Modern glass will stick out if all the other panes are original.

There are a couple of different "eras" of wavy glass and luckily at least two kinds are still made. One is the thicker stuff with the more obvious wavy texture that is similar to what was made up through about the Civil War years. The other is the thinner glass that has imperfections like a slight wave and/or a few bubbles here and there. This style of glass is more appropriate in 1880s through about 1920 applications.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Thanks, 1918. Yes, I've found a couple of companies and am now just seeing who will be the most economical on shipping and whatnot. Some have FOUR choices! Looks like each one would cost around $100...$50 shipping. Too bad I have nothing in my 'private stock' of that size - everything I save is more like 8x10, 24x14...

I'm a house painter, and I glaze windows in the winter...so these are for a customer. Only need 1 piece so far (knock on wood). They are huge! These are "2 over 1"...the oft-seen 2 pane sash on top, and a single pane in the bottom sash. I haven't seen too many of these. One was cracked when I got it. I guess I'll need to be extra careful when removing the glazing on the others 8-)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the only place I know of out here is the art glass store. they seem to get trashed so quickly when pulled out by the old window vultures

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Exactly, Phil. I have a whole pile of 'normal' size wavy glass, for up to oh 14x24". Bigger than that and I'm outa luck, NOBODY has that at their 'picker's paradise' place.

I am resigned that stuff this big needs to be bought. One pane came broken...I'll have to be exceedingly careful with the others! Luckily there were probably last done with DAP, so the glazing isn't too difficult to remove.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

GibsonGM wrote:Exactly, Phil. I have a whole pile of 'normal' size wavy glass, for up to oh 14x24". Bigger than that and I'm outa luck, NOBODY has that at their 'picker's paradise' place.

I am resigned that stuff this big needs to be bought. One pane came broken...I'll have to be exceedingly careful with the others! Luckily there were probably last done with DAP, so the glazing isn't too difficult to remove.

Darn, I'm sure my local slavage would be able to help as they have a massive basement full of nothing but windows and old storms. Many from commercial sized applications, but it's a heck of a long way for you
Mick...