Sourcing wavy glass?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Sourcing wavy glass?

Post by GibsonGM »

It's the thought that counts, Mick :)

I'll be passing the cost on to the customer, which stinks for him but is part of the job...if I break one, I'll take the 1st one out of my pay, as is my policy...actually, if they're standard size, I just use some from my stock and charge nothing, if it's my fault. Breakage is usually like 1 in 10 or 20, but those big ones have me nervous!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I am currently working on sash with 38" x 40" glass...after I set the glass, glaze and paint I will place them in plastic bags for delivery...to deliver, I drive 3 hours, wait an hour for the ferry then it's a 55 minute up and down ferry ride...after that, I will be installing them by myself...yea, yes, indeed, I will be nervous for all those hours...

here's hoping you get the project done, delivered and installed without a mishap Gibson!

...jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Jade, that’s a pretty big pane of glass for wavy glass. Would it have been early float glass, I can’t see it being cylinder glass.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

heartwood wrote:I am currently working on sash with 38" x 40" glass...after I set the glass, glaze and paint I will place them in plastic bags for delivery...to deliver, I drive 3 hours, wait an hour for the ferry then it's a 55 minute up and down ferry ride...after that, I will be installing them by myself...yea, yes, indeed, I will be nervous for all those hours...

here's hoping you get the project done, delivered and installed without a mishap Gibson!

...jade

Oh my!! Are they from the Vineyard? That's a tough transport...

The 26 sashes I have I took out of a 1910 "camp" near Rangeley, had to strap in on edge and go out the potholed gravel access road, then take 20 mi. back home. I'm even nervous my barn will fall in on them over the winter, ha ha! :lolno:

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yup, big sash! the three light top sash have 12" x 38" glass...this project is on block island, rhode island...
while on the ferry over to this project, a woman approached me in the bathroom..."are you the woman
who restores windows?" huh? my 'heartwood' tshirt was hidden under my jacket...she saw me drive in with my van which has my name on it...anyway, I now have a second job on block island...

Gibson, let us hope your barn remains upright for many a year to come....

...jade

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

heartwood wrote:yup, big sash! the three light top sash have 12" x 38" glass...this project is on block island, rhode island...
while on the ferry over to this project, a woman approached me in the bathroom..."are you the woman
who restores windows?" huh? my 'heartwood' tshirt was hidden under my jacket...she saw me drive in with my van which has my name on it...anyway, I now have a second job on block island...

Gibson, let us hope your barn remains upright for many a year to come....

...jade

Block island is very nice, have been a few times. Longer ride out on that ferry than one would think!!

Ha ha, I hear ya! I have people follow me home once in a while: "You're that painter, right?? Why don't you come with me to my house, just a SMALL project I need done...oh sure, of course you have time!". No trades-people around here!!

Ya, after 150 yrs., I doubt the barn will go down any time soon - just the imagination at 2 AM on a night with 40 mph wind up here at 1,000 feet ;)

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:I know there's a company in New Jersey that still makes it (name escapes me right now). It's not cheap, but if you only need a little bit, it shouldn't be too bad and worth the investment. Modern glass will stick out if all the other panes are original.

There are a couple of different "eras" of wavy glass and luckily at least two kinds are still made. One is the thicker stuff with the more obvious wavy texture that is similar to what was made up through about the Civil War years. The other is the thinner glass that has imperfections like a slight wave and/or a few bubbles here and there. This style of glass is more appropriate in 1880s through about 1920 applications.

Like, how thick or thin are we talking? I have some pretty early wavy glass here and some newer glass that just gives a slight vertigo.

GibsonGM

Post by GibsonGM »

Hi Tucker,

It's actually pretty standard thickness (Jade knows I'm sure how these things run...I'm thinking standard window glass was about 1/8"...or more like 3/16". I will caliper it later). Not the thick stuff (or it wouldn't have cracked in transit!). I would say the 1880s+ variety. These windows were probably made around 1900, I'm guessing. The place they came out of was built in 1914, likely from "parts" of other places. It is a 'camp' on a lake in Maine; they vary from shanty-town boxes of junk to very elaborate (like this one) and homey..."On Golden Pond" stuff. I'd like to maintain that originality for them.

You have some in those large sheets, Tucker? Where are you located? Thus far only one is toast, which isn't too bad, but you never know! As it warms up I'll be able to strip the last 5 big ones, then I'll know if any more get "lost". The top sashes are 2 paned, and I have pieces of that stuff here.
Thanks!

Vala

Post by Vala »

GibsonGM wrote:I'm thinking standard window glass was about 1/8"...or more like 3/16". I will caliper it later).

I think you might mean 3/32", 3/16" would be almost as thick as the glazing rabbet. I have some old glass that is 3/32

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

No, my bigger and newer panes are 12"x16". My older, wavier panes are 8"x10".