HVAC recommendation?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: HVAC recommendation?

Post by phil »

they make furnaces designed to put in the basement and blow up, these are more common , but they also make them designed to blow down. If the attic space is unused I guess you could theoretically install it that way. I don't know how common it is but maybe it frees up space as does on demand hot water.

Maybe it's less efficient since the heat kind of wants to go upwards but it's a thought.

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

Here I go, again, being the Debbie Downer. Sorry if you think I'm being harsh because I don't intend to be.

The problem you have isn't a heat source. The problem is you have a contractor who probably isn't ever going to finish the job and would seemingly have no real direction or goal in mind. HVAC should have been decided before the dirt was moved for the addition. The fact it is just now becoming an issue is a huge red flag. Did they take duct work into account when they did the framing? I'm betting not. I'm also curious about plumbing and electric.

I've been around the block numerous times on the HVAC merry go round. I've done residential, commercial, and public buildings as projects and have a fairly good understanding of the systems. Feel free to PM me if you wish if you have specific questions. Just remember that every building you see in your area more or less has heat and there are lots of people who can install it. That's the least of your worries.

You won't have a great deal of success getting someone to take over the project now. A contractor doing that would be basically agreeing to warranty the previous contractor's work. Consider that for a bit. Unless you go with a newer and fairly un-established builder who's really hungry for work you won't find many people lining up to take your money.

Once it's under roof and sealed against the weather with windows and siding you'll probably wind up just having to fire the contractor. At that point you'll have to act as your own General and hire the trades to finish or do it yourself. You might be able to find someone to manage the project but getting a contractor to take it to completion and hand you the keys is asking a bit much. What's your bank saying about this?

Your story is far from uncommon. I have a co-worker who has been doing a garage addition for two years now. I don't know how that project hasn't descended into an old fashioned fist fight yet.

phil

Post by phil »

I saw a house in PG where he had laid 2x4 across the floor in such a way that the heat had to go back and forth through each run. It might not meet code as it isn't in tin, but I could see how that could be quite effective in a cold climate basement where ceiling height wasn't a huge issue. My dad build a house with a lot of ducting poured intot he cement floor and it was nice, still hot air but it warmed the floor. If you can have a duct right at your feet when youare at the sink it's a nice place. I did that and love it. I spoke to a sheet metal expert and he said it wouldn't meet code if it wasn't enclosed with tin. but mine is. the only drawback is you dont; want to keep your garbage there and cook it. you need a different spot for the garbage. nice to warm your tootsies while you are at the sink though.. It has to come out somewhere.

Greenwood
Knows the area

Post by Greenwood »

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I went with the simplest solution - ducting from my original forced air furnace. I'll add in-floor heat and two electric wall heaters in the upstairs bathroom and closet.
Last week the majority of the HVAC and plumbing went in and I think it is done. Electrical this week maybe. I know the electrician personally, so I'll give her a call and see what she's been told for planning.

Managing the builder is the real issue. I'm not very good at it, and I'll have to live with the consequences of that. I've thought many times about firing him, but haven't. It would be very difficult to find someone to take over, and if I did, it would cost me a heck of a lot more money, and then I'd want to sue the builder as well for any overpayments.

Does anyone know of any resources out there that can help a person like me understand and manage the homeowner/contractor relationship? I don't like to be or sound so helpless, but I really don't know how to manage this guy. I've tried what I know how to do - I've dropped my voice and spoken calmly but surely, outlining expectations and deadlines; I've raised my voice and stomped my feet, and threatened to fire him; I've tried calling and texting every day, asking for updates and plans; I've talked about the negative effect this is having on my finances and personal life; I've talked about his professional reputation; and I've even let him see a moist eye when I talked about how cold it was in my house when the temperature dropped to the -20s.
Of course legal action is available, but again, I would have to find someone to complete the build and that would be unlikely this winter.

One other question I have is can I hire a third party to review the work the builder is doing? For example, the shingles are half done - and have been done during winter weather. There was snow on the roof when the builder started. They brushed it off and shingled. While there is some kind of underlayment on the roof, I also had dripping water through to the addition on some of the warmer days. So, is it ok to have the underlayment and shingles overtop of likely wet sheathing?
Then, these are a new style of shingles that the roofer has not used before. They are CertainTeed Carriage House, ordered from Toronto. Very lovely and more costly than the usual fare available here (see below). How do I ensure they are installed correctly? I know there will be a warranty on the shingles themselves and I can go after the builder should any problems arise because of improper installation, but is there a way for me to prevent the installation issues by having someone look at them now?

Do people hire independent inspectors to go over a builder's work?
If I were to hire someone independent of the build, what work title does that person have so I can look in the YellowPages or Google it? Are they just called building inspectors? Or do I hire another builder to review the work?

I"m sure it will all be fine in the end. I've heard many people get renovation-weary and worn out. I am hoping that not only do I survive this financially, but that I appreciate and like the addition when it's done.
Attachments
Carriage House.jpg
Carriage House.jpg (4.42 KiB) Viewed 230 times

phil

Post by phil »

I think I can relate in probably being not the best at handling contractors. you shouldn't need to be stressing like you are and I can understand why this is so stressful.
If you have a general contractor usually it's his job to coordinate the tradesmen but I think the problem is that being GC makes them responsible to themselves and not to report to a third party. That's fine if they are doing their job but the problem is each homeowner is a one time customer. There "oughta be" a licensing board for them and a system where they can be reported and loose that license. Calling the city and getting in touch with the inspector could be a good idea? maybe you could express your concerns to him. I'm not sure if that would be in your favor or backfire , if he paid extra attention to things like the way the roofing is being laid in cold climate.

Maybe you could send pictures in to the manufacturer and ask if they think the shingles are being put on properly and if they are going to guarantee them?

I'm not the best to advise on how to deal with the situation I can just relate and it Irks me to hear stories like this. Maybe Willa could advise better, she's been dealing with more of that.

I noticed an add lately relating to rooms wanted and this guy had posted he was a general contractor and went on to say he's employed in construction as a laborer, and he was like 22 or something.. One would think that a GC would have experience in Carpentry and then maybe move to that position with considerable experience , but even knowledge of the trades doesn't necessarily make them reliable or caring to their clients. Seems like anyone can run around calling themselves a GC. If the original quote had timelines and penalties then it might have weiht but you can bet he has written it up in his favor. I guess you could have a new legal contract drawn up with timelines and penalties and say that you want him to finish and these are the conditions. sign here or pack your tools.. Taking a hard like isn't' always the best way. sometimes you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I think I'd be trying to hire another competing contractor and showing him what's happening complete with the timelines, The worst they can say is no and they might want to jump in and save the day and then spread gossip through the community about the situation that guy put you through. competitors can sometimes use that to their advantage. Next thing they will be speaking to a different client who is getting multiple quotes and have fuel to discourage hiring this guy.. They will explain to the new client how he screwed you over and how they jumped in and saved your butt.

Maybe they would only be happy to take over and show him up. I'm no legal expert but Id' say that if you did lock him out and if he then tried to take you to court you might have a pretty good case to use the same lawyer to turn right around and sue him.

My guess is that you have the timeline and evidence to prove he's costing you money through his neglectful handling of the job. I bet he'd pick up his bags and walk. He doesn't want to spend his time in court any more than you do. Maybe both lawyers would make a profit and settle out of court. I'm sure lawyers could do something.

Here in BC if you call the law society they will arrange an appointment with a lawyer to hear your case and it only costs 25 dollars or something for the first 1/2 hour. I've done that a couple times and found the lawyers were really good and actually gave me what advice I needed in that time and some didn't even charge anything to sit down and hear me through and advise. Just knowing what a lawyer could do for you might give you the confidence to threaten legal action and maybe that's exactly what he needs. Maybe you could find out if the lawyers in your area have a similar program.