How do you fill the gap when you pull a window?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Mick_VT

Re: How do you fill the gap when you pull a window?

Post by Mick_VT »

you can probably head off the busybodies for a while by painting the plywood a dark color and installing from the inside - looks kind of neat - some of the plywood I used happened to already be painted Tudor Brown
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

For our attic windows I have cut some blue insulation foam board to shape. Just prop it into the void with a stick. For all other windows I just use the storm. Restore the sashes first, swap the storm with the restored sashes then I restore the outer window.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

MJ1987 wrote:I'm a bit leery of putting insulation or plywood in the window because it looks pretty shabby. I know it sounds a little vain, but I'm trying to keep the new neighbors happy!

Manalto wrote: I don't see it as vain at all; it's just being a good neighbor (and keeping them quiet). Since I'm away from my house so much, I'm acutely aware of how I'm perceived by my neighbors, and that was what motivated me to paint my house first (which is against my better judgement restoration-wise) - to send the message, loud and clear, that I care about the place (it worked like a charm - the response has been positive). I think, however, that window restoration is an understandable, if not admirable, process and a sheet of plywood holding the place for a few days is inoffensive. People can be pretty intense, however, so I defer to your judgement regarding your neighborhood. Maybe if I use a sheet of plywood for that purpose during window restoration, I'll paint it a solid, dark color (crazy cousins are kept in the basement anyway) to make it less conspicuous.

Totally agree. Being a new good neighbor is certainly of paramount importance. I feel bad, however, that the outside of my house looks shabby because the vast majority of the neighbors take tremendous pride in their homes. Granted, my house hasn't gotten any worse since I bought it--it just hasn't gotten any better.

Now, there's several key factors as to why I'm not painting the house or doing any real landscaping (God knows it needs its first paint job since the 70s). The first is that the inside needs so much work that all of my time is spent on interior restoration with the ultimate goal being moving in! It's always a bit awkward when people know I bought a house in April 2017 and I'm still not living there as we approach 2018 :oops: But nonetheless, we all tackle things differently. Many have suggested that I finish the bathroom and main bedroom and try to move in. But that's not what I'm going to do. I don't want to finish the floors and walls and then take out windows and use stripper when I don't *have* to. I'm living at home with my parents during the restoration--a perfectly kept house with freshly painted walls, hot meals, and cable TV! Given the choice between that and a construction zone, it seems like a no-brainer. Also, though I get along with my parents swimmingly, I'm not there most of the time because I'm either at work or working on the house.

As far as the windows are concerned, it takes me SO LONG to do them. I've weathered the storm and completely finished two, but boy is it a bear. As I'm sure most windows in need of rehab are, they're caked with paint--both the sashes and the frames--and need new sash chain/cord. It's hard to imagine getting them all done, but they look and work SO MUCH BETTER once they're done. I'm just leery of putting insulation or plywood in place of a window that may not make it back into the frame for months :crazy: But if they're only taking you a few days, I think painted ply is fine. Side note: the fact that you get them done in a few days makes you my hero! :clap:
Last edited by MJ1987 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Jeepnstein
Been here a good while

Post by Jeepnstein »

If the plywood bothers you that much just paint it with some kind of interesting scene. Maybe Killroy peering out over the sill or something? Or if you have a shop that could print something like this in a large enough format you could glue it on your plywood?

I did the storm window first and just left it in place while I did the sashes. Then you just have to touch up things a bit after putting the sash back. Winter is not a good time for doing it this way.

On a couple of windows I made a fake sash out of 2x lumber and some old plexiglass. They were the same size more or less so I used them on a few windows. This is a decent enough option if you know the sash is going to be time consuming.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

MJ1987 wrote:...the fact that you get them done in a few days makes you my hero! :clap:

Fact? :lol: "A few days" has yet to be defined in this situation. What I meant was, if the neighbors see that you're making progress, the process shouldn't bother them.

Jeepenstein, that image would be sure to endear anyone to his neighbors, especially if it was repeated nine times across the front of the house.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Vala wrote:Here's an idea for plywood on the outside without having to use nails or screws to hold it in place. Found this on a blog online.

Seems easy enough to construct.frame3.jpg

This looks like a good idea. I wonder if it would work for a door? I need to restore the front door and I refuse to do it in place, so I'm sure it will be out for at least a week.
Bonnie

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Maybe put two bars across for a door. I'd also reverse the set-up from the way it's shown, because it advertises how the plywood is secured. Anyone who wanted to walk into the house just has to remove the nut, or simply rotate the board that's holding the plywood.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

I agree. Maybe long lag bolts with the heads out? They don't have slots, do they?
Bonnie

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Carriage bolts might be even more secure
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

a sticker like this would likely make wannabe crooks pick the next house ;-)

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/danger- ... 328549.jpg