How do you fill the gap when you pull a window?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Vala

Re: How do you fill the gap when you pull a window?

Post by Vala »

Nobody around here cares or enforces this sorta of stuff. a couple years back we had someone in town tear off their old asbestos siding themselves (unfortunately to replace with vinyl) and nobody cared.

It's both good and bad, bad that people are getting exposed to toxins on the other hand I dont have to worry about being messed with over my restoration job.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

In my state, Maine, a homeowner can make lead dust all over, and do what they like to asbestos, all day long. Property rights. Wise? Probably not. And you can't do either if your intent is to SELL the property (90 or 180 days, I forget which).

However...if you are taking $1 from the owner, or even something in trade...BOOM you are in some deep doo - MAYBE, if anyone calls on you. Some conditions apply (pre 1978 residence...office bldg etc, you're ok). But yeah, total chaos in enforcement, so many figure they'll do better to not adhere to the regulations. By the time they get a fine, they'll have "saved" enough $ to be ahead of it, ha ha!! Dumb.

I LIKE the program since the end result is MUCH cleaner! But hate the reg. aspect, the paperwork and "threats" hanging over my head (audits and the like). Since we have so much lead etc. around, we should be more comfy in talking about, and dealing with, it.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I have fond memories of playing with this toy.. and it reminds me how times have changed.
Attachments
Tin-soldier-lab1.jpg
Tin-soldier-lab1.jpg (70.28 KiB) Viewed 654 times

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

I WANT ONE!!!! :)

phil

Post by phil »

there are some molds on Ebay. You can melt the lead with a blowtorch.. one word of caution that I dont; recall knowing as a kid. If there is even one drop of water in the mold it can blow the lead back in your face when you pour it.

as a millwright, we learned to pour and scrape (to fit) babbitt bearings. you smoke the shaft, then make a dam with special plasitcene , then pour around the shaft creating a bearing. then scrape and use bluing to achieve contact all around the shaft. That's the old school way but the occasional antique machine still exists. - old shops that used lineshafting would use bearings like this. ball bearings came later.

I also worked in printing and stood many hours beside a machine with a lead pot . its was used to cast lead slugs for printing.. both of these applications are basically the same... and use lead tin and antimony which expands as it cools.

autobody was done with lead too, Before bondo. I still have some sticks of it somewhere, youd melt the lead and stick it to your bodywork and smooth it out. They may still use it if you have a very special car, it was considered more permanent than bondo.

as a naughty kid I remember we took the flashing from around the vents and things on the school, then we took scissors and carefully cut it out in circles around a quarter. we had film cans full of these lead slugs and they worked perfectly in the vending machines.. we all had as many cigarettes as we could smoke ;-)

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

The linotype is fickle.... it breaks down twice each day; but when it spits the burning hot slugs it'll steal your heart away!

phil wrote:there are some molds on Ebay. You can melt the lead with a blowtorch.. one word of caution that I dont; recall knowing as a kid. If there is even one drop of water in the mold it can blow the lead back in your face when you pour it.

as a millwright, we learned to pour and scrape (to fit) babbitt bearings. you smoke the shaft, then make a dam with special plasitcene , then pour around the shaft creating a bearing. then scrape and use bluing to achieve contact all around the shaft. That's the old school way but the occasional antique machine still exists. - old shops that used lineshafting would use bearings like this. ball bearings came later.

I also worked in printing and stood many hours beside a machine with a lead pot . its was used to cast lead slugs for printing.. both of these applications are basically the same... and use lead tin and antimony which expands as it cools.

autobody was done with lead too, Before bondo. I still have some sticks of it somewhere, youd melt the lead and stick it to your bodywork and smooth it out. They may still use it if you have a very special car, it was considered more permanent than bondo.

as a naughty kid I remember we took the flashing from around the vents and things on the school, then we took scissors and carefully cut it out in circles around a quarter. we had film cans full of these lead slugs and they worked perfectly in the vending machines.. we all had as many cigarettes as we could smoke ;-)

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

:text-threadjacked:
Mick...

phil

Post by phil »

darnit I'm in trouble again ;-) I won;t even get coal for Christmas, I could use some too, running out of dry wood already..

my brother once carted home a linotype machine. I still have the plaque somewhere from it. He got quite a bundle for the couple of buckets of brass matrices. It was sad to see it taken apart. they are amazing machines mechanically.

ok what about those window gaps?

Etaoin Shrdlu

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Post by arwenmark »

First thing I did with my house was putting in the storm windows, on MOST of my windows so that when I could get to them I could remove the actual windows to work on them one by one. The trouble is I then got so disabled that I probably can't do them, I will try one in the Spring to see if I can do it, perhaps in small spurts of time and sitting down we'll see.