How do you fill the gap when you pull a window?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: How do you fill the gap when you pull a window?

Post by phil »

Mick_VT wrote:Carriage bolts might be even more secure

if it is not a lag type thread but a regular thread, the head doesn't matter , just use two nuts on the inside and lock them together. they can turn it all they want because they can't get to the nuts and it will just spin.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Mick_VT wrote:Carriage bolts might be even more secure

That might be what I'm thinking of. Smooth and rounded with nothing to get hold of to turn?
Bonnie

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I love your idea, Phil, but bedbugs may not be threatening enough. I'd keep it vague:

ImageQuarantine by James McInnis, on Flickr

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Manalto wrote:I love your idea, Phil, but bedbugs may not be threatening enough. I'd keep it vague:

:clap:
Bonnie

phil

Post by phil »

you can add a weclome mat just to confuse the situation...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/14127639 ... -l1000.jpg

I don't know if anyone else watches "still game" but it's pretty funny

phil

Post by phil »

I don't know if you see it as often in other other cities but here it seems there is a strange custom for many Chinese people to put Kleenex boxes on the dash of the rear window in their car. Often they are in those gold metal containers. I'm not sure if there is any meaning or it's just a funny custom.. or if it is like a code like the fish symbol.. I decided the redneck equivalent might be to put a empty shotgun shell box in the same place ;-)

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Post by Kmarissa »

Manalto wrote:I love your idea, Phil, but bedbugs may not be threatening enough. I'd keep it vague:

We recently had our house repainted, and due to the lead exterior paint, the painters put up this caution tape all around with a sign that said “danger” and “poison” in big letters. We definitely got some questions from the neighbors...

We probably should have kept it all up—I didn’t even think about the extra burglar protection we were getting!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

the silly sign is required by law...it's ridiculous, drives me nuts!

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Post by Kmarissa »

Yeah, I can definitely appreciate the need for caution in general and all that, but the sign just seemed to cause confusion among the neighbors. “Wait, you’re JUST painting? We thought something bad had happened!”

It was a bit amusing to live in the POISON house for a while.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

The need for signage is one of my GREATEST pet peeves on this subject!!!! It's nobody's business what's going on next door....sign should only need to be 8x12" for the occupants of the subject home, and a yellow rope around the area to keep kids out...this raises questions with no answers, fear, maybe even some sort of 'inquiry' into what "danger" the neighbors may be facing!

Now, since (per our RRP training) not ANY dust or debris WHATSOEVER will be leaving our 10' work area...why the need to advertise about something that isn't "over there", but is "right here only"? We don't do this if we're using, say, propane in a gas grill, a more imminent hazard...

Since only like 1 in 10 painters actually DO RRP (no enforcement), this looks VERY odd to customers who see me in Tyvek with caution tape, plastic, signs and a significantly higher price...and a guy literally 200' away is pressure washing another old home, chips right into the neighbor's yard, no cleanup...net result? This:

"Which one is scr*wing whom? MY guy in tyvek, or THAT guy who is old school?" At least the pamphlet you hand out with EPA letterhead offers them some info to understand that the plastic is necessary....but it raises lots of questions. Eventually neighbors do talk, so hopefully the word will spread that painters SHOULD be catching their junk.